backwashing

May 18, 2015
Clarksville
I notice over the past 2 weeks I've needed to backwash twice per week. I especially noticed an increase in pressure gauge reading last Monday and yesterday after my kids had been in it.

no water problems, and swg
was added this year.

last season I had to backwash once per week, or sometimes once every 2 weeks.

the sand and filter are new. it was purchased last summer.

what is normal as far as how often you should need to backwash?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I don't know "normal," I usually rely on the pressure reading. Had my pool opened last week but I was not present when it happened so I can't speak to their procedure. Pressure was good yesterday, a week after the open, nowhere near backwash range. In normal use I do it once a week.

well, I have to go outside later today to turn it on, so nilly see what the pressure gauge says then.

we also have had a lot of pollen. the water has gad a lot of debris from trees in it to the point of hand skimming to get it all out.

Please add your state to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <-----, climate is an important factor when we are helping you with your pool. Please add your pool info to your signature so that we know what kind of pool and equipmemt we are helping you with, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Please tell us what test kit you are testing with.
Please post your recent test results.

We recommend that you backwash your filter when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

Most often when filters clog rapidly it is due to algae growing in the pool due to insufficient chlorine relative to the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Any time the FC drops below minimum level algae can start growing.

If algae or organic material is suspected of contributing to the filter clogging issues then you can Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is organic material in your pool consuming chlorine.

Could your filter be undersized?
should be fine. 1500gph filter. 18/52 @7000 gallons. intex sand filter and swg

it did great all last season. so I'm tending to agree with what was said above. I did test today and chlorine was kinda low, @ 2.0 & FC at only 2.5

currently I have the pool master 5 way test kit.

based on acid demand test at 1 it says I should add 1-1/4 cup of acid, which I don't currently have.

ta was 50 and ph is 7.8

I will figure out how to add all that stuff to signature but I hope what I provided here will still help.

Twice a year for me.

If it's massive quantities of pollen, a knee-high nylon stretched over the skimmer basket will catch a lot of it before it gets to the filter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

But I also wonder if it isn't a nascent algae bloom. By your own admission, FC is low... 2 is too low for nop CYA, and if you have CYA in the water, it makes it even less effective. Do you chlorinate with pucks?

Twice a year for me.

If it's massive quantities of pollen, a knee-high nylon stretched over the skimmer basket will catch a lot of it before it gets to the filter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

But I also wonder if it isn't a nascent algae bloom. By your own admission, FC is low... 2 is too low for nop CYA, and if you have CYA in the water, it makes it even less effective. Do you chlorinate with pucks?
no my pool is swg

yes I added stabilizer but like you said at such low chlorine levels, it's not gonna make much difference.

that is today's test btw

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Melody, I am worried you might have a slight algae bloom trying to happen. Can you do this test (OCLT) tonight/tomorrow morning?

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Most of the time when we see a increased need for backwashing or filters needing to be clean more often it points to needed to do a SLAM for a couple of days to clear up what is going on in the water.

Kim

FCU lastnight was 2.5. today it was 2 0.

we get a lot of sun on our pool so that may be why the loss.

I was asking in another post how much liquid bleach to use.
probably the water needs shocked. but I've never used liquid before. last year I had regular chlorine tabs and shock bags.

I have a couple extra shock bags from last year, but all swg info I've read says not to use powder chlorine as it reduces cell life.

Melody you need to get either a k-2006 or TF 100 test kit and test your water. I suspect you have massive amounts of cya in the water and zero effective chlorine. But we need some test results. With test results we can help bring your pool back and you will not need to be spending so much time maintaining it.

Yes Index filters are undersized, but even with that undersized filter you should only be back washing once a month.

Melody you need to get either a k-2006 or TF 100 test kit and test your water. I suspect you have massive amounts of cya in the water and zero effective chlorine. But we need some test results. With test results we can help bring your pool back and you will not need to be spending so much time maintaining it.

Yes Index filters are undersized, but even with that undersized filter you should only be back washing once a month.
hmm. even last year Vick wash was once every 2 weeks or once every week.
intex recommends once a week but I just watch the pressure gauge.

I may not have the Taylor test kit till after the first. (end of month. no money)

ok. so I got the test kit ordered. I was afraid I wouldn't get to till friday. but it still isn't going to be here till the end of week. so I think what I will do in the meantime is vacuum/sweep the pool, and run a boost cycle with swg. all I can do for now till kit gets here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.