Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inline Chlorinator plumbing in U shape

1. Back To Top    #1

Inline Chlorinator plumbing in U shape

My pool is under construction (you can read my Introduction post).

The PB installed the inline Chlorinator with a U shaped loop with a 90 degree bend that goes into the ground after the chlorinator and then loops back above the ground to the valves that lead to returns, bubblers and deck jets. The PB says he does this on all pools now to keep the chlorine from the dissolving tablets from entering the pool when the pump is off. The pool is about 50' away from the equipment pad.

I wanted good plumbing and this U loop seems restrictive. I probable won't even be using the inline chlorinator after a year and will go to liguid chlorine (BBB) or SWG.

The inline chlorinator was to be a Pentair Rainbow brand but he substituted an Aquastar Super Pro and he says it is a Rainbow. They do look the same.

Appreciate any comments & suggestions. Thanks.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inline Chlorinator plumbing in U shape

First, I would stay away from inline chlorinators. Tabs add CYA and if you don't keep an eye on the CYA levels, you will end up with very high CYA levels and your chlorine will need to be very high to manage the pool properly.

But if you decide to go forward with an inline, a U loop will not prevent migration of chlorine, you need a check valve for that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply.

I've got the pic of the equipment plumbing on my post over at the Construction Forum. Is there anyway to use the same upload for different Forums as I don't want to use up space for pictures?

New Pool - Orlando Florida

The inline is already installed by the PB who says he needs it for the startup. If I want a SWG later he will take it out and charge me many $$$ to install.

Never mention to me about the restrictive loop and he also switched my deck jets to the circulation pump without asking. I wanted all features on the other pump and have a plumbing diagram in my contract but it says some field changes will be made.

I read the TFP pool school and am aware of the CYA buildup problem but the inline chlorinator should be Ok for the 1st 6 - 12 months.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

The easiest way to reuse pictures is to keep your related questions in the same thread
    Or post a link to that post.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!