Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to site, own pool for 3 yrs. HELP! LOL.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie to site, own pool for 3 yrs. HELP! LOL.

Yall will think I am green but I am over loaded with info. I have read so much it has been confusing. I am looking forward to some experienced help here. First, I need to know which kit is BEST for all testing. I will start there. I already know I need to drain my pool, slam it and start fresh. So, with that being said, which kit? I put my pool info in the profile but not sure it will show up lol.

I have a standard test kit from Leslie's Pools. Chlorine, Bromine and PH tester.
    Darla Reed :-)

25,000 gal, Nautalis NS60 D.E. filter, Plaster, IG, 30 plus yrs oval pool. Plaster resurfaced 10+ yrs ago.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Newbie to site, own pool for 3 yrs. HELP! LOL.

Draining may be unnecessary.

The best kit dollar for dollar, is the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net It has all the tests you will need unless you have a SWG then you need to add the salt test.

Post a few pics and let's see what we're working with.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bob! It has some Algae on the walls and a green tintish look in a swirl on the bottom of the pool, I cant get rid of that AT ALL. Pics wont show it, I tried already lol. Ok, I will order the kit right now!

25,000 gal, Nautalis NS60 D.E. filter, Plaster, IG, 30 plus yrs oval pool. Plaster resurfaced 10+ yrs ago.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A SLaM is in your future. It will clear up any algae that we have come across.

I would suggest you order the XL option of the kit. And add a speed stir, It makes the testing fun!

Read the following pages while you wait for the kit to arrive:

Pool School
    SLAMing Your Pool
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Try to order the "Speed Stir", and maybe consider the "XL Option" size as well since you need to "SLAM". Mix like a pro with plenty of reagents just in case. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It'll take about three days to get to you.....don't be frustrated.....it's worth the wait.

You can make some progress while you are waiting on your kit. Each evening, add a small jug of Clorox (pump running) in front of a return so it is quickly7 diluted. Brush those green spots each evening as well. Don't worry if they don't come out.....we're just getting started!

Post your test results when your kit comes in and we'll be off and running.

Also, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School, it's the basics for everything we do.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome!

Just starting out cold, reading Pool School can make you feel

Once you have a proper test kit and start doing the chemistry, it will click and make sense. There's a fairly steep learning curve as you get things in shape, and after that it's just coasting. Before Memorial Day your pool will be sparkling and you'll be an old pro and bored with the pool maintenance because it's so troublefree and predictable. That test kit will probably have paid for itself by then, too, what with all the potions and elixirs the pool store won't be selling you this year.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Nice one Richard!

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol. Thanks guys. I should have bought the kit 2 yrs ago but use Leslie's to test the water. I know lol. I learned my lesson, only took 2 yrs to get un-manageable so not bad. I did not see an option for the XL kit or speed stir? I did not read that in the info on the site, must have missed it.

- - - Updated - - -

I cant find the 8% clorox around here so I guess regular clorox id ok?

10. Back To Top    #10

One other thing, How can I properly measure my pool to find out how many Gallons it really is? It is an odd shaped oval pool, runs from 3.5 ft down to 13 ft. Length plus the widest part width wise? I can take a pic put don't know how to add it to this site, I will use my phone. Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Use Pool Math http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html Towards the bottom it has a calculator to help. If you need to "break" your pool up into part and do it a part at a time and add it all together. We will fine tune it after you get your test kit.

Great Value Bleach from Walmart (plain, unscented) is what quite a few people use. So long as it is bleach and the % is listed you will be fine. If the % is not listed it is not worth your time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

My pool is the same way. I just took multiple measurements at different widths and then took the average. Same with the length and depth. It won't be perfect, but it is closer than guessing.
    18500 gallon oval pool. Filter: Hayward cartridge filter. Model: C12002. Pump: Hayward 1 speed (I think) 1.5hp Max-Flo XL Pump. Model: C48D43AO4. TFT100 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP Darla, you will be the talk of the neighborhood once you get your pool all sparkly
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

14. Back To Top    #14

What part of Houston do you live in? Let me know if I can help.

This reminds me it would be nice if we had a resource set up where we had a list of knowledgeable people in areas of the country or state who could devote a little time to help those new to the process. I would volunteer. I have been extremely impressed with this site and my pool has never looked better.
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

15. Back To Top    #15

good idea, i am in Clear Lake. We have our own temp table here lol.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, i will try it.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks!!

16. Back To Top    #16

Welcome Darla! These fantastic people will get you in shape and you'll be managing your pool like a pro in no time!

Pearland area here!
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.

17. Back To Top    #17

WalMart now sells a 10% liquid chlorine product in the pool section. Unit for unit it is less expensive than their store brand.
    16K IG vinyl liner - 2.5 HP Hayward Pump - Hayward Sand Filter - CircuPool Si 30 SWG

18. Back To Top    #18

I just put the 8.25% lol. I didn't know they had a pool section. Im sure I will need more so good to know!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Had two more inches of rain this morning with more to come over the next 4 days. great. lol.

19. Back To Top    #19

Lol. I dont buy a lot of chemicals from them. I used liquid bleach until a year ago, phos free and their shock. I switched to tabs thinking I could save money, boy was I wrong lol. I read the tabs cause lots of problems but I clean and check my pool daily, I thought I could prevent that stuff from happening. Now I am back to square one. Not having the right test kit is my issue. No more short cuts for me lol. I have two bottles of the 10% chlorine left and will add a bottle this afternoon when the sun goes down to kick start my process. My kit should be here by the weekend.

20. Back To Top    #20

Hello blueyes39 and welcome
    Like they said, it seems overwhelming at first, but gets MUCH easier with time. And remember, your way ahead of the game, it took some of us (me) 17 years to find this place
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast