Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and PH counter measures

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA and PH counter measures

I just filled my pool. Im getting ready to Start balancing my water. I know that they CYA will drop my PH. The part that Im unsure about is, Will my PH only drop while the CYA is dissolving and it will come back up again on it's own, OR will I need to manually counter act this? I had to wait a Day to get my chemicals so at this point i have only added some bleach just to be proactive.

Current Readings- Via Test Strip ( bad I know, working on what test kit is Right for my 3 month Budgeted swimming season )
    Salt 0
    FC 1.5 or less
    PH 7.2
    CH ? testing today
    TA 80
    CYA 0
    Temp 50
    6000 gal
    AG
    Cartridge Filter
    15000 gal SWG 1500GPH pump
    Install Date TBD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA and PH counter measures

No, don't worry about counter-acting this addition. Just test and adjust everything normally and carry on as usual.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

At the bottom of "PoolMath" you will find "Effects of adding chemicals" and you can calculate your drop.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jaspers_87 View Post
    I just filled my pool. Im getting ready to Start balancing my water. I know that they CYA will drop my PH. The part that Im unsure about is, Will my PH only drop while the CYA is dissolving and it will come back up again on it's own, OR will I need to manually counter act this? I had to wait a Day to get my chemicals so at this point i have only added some bleach just to be proactive.

Current Readings- Via Test Strip ( bad I know, working on what test kit is Right for my 3 month Budgeted swimming season )
    Salt 0
    FC 1.5 or less
    PH 7.2
    CH ? testing today
    TA 80
    CYA 0
    Temp 50
    Whether your season is 12 months or 3 months, proper testing is important. In fact, I'd almost say it's MORE important with a short season. Only so many days to enjoy the pool so make sure you're testing right and chemistry is correct for all of them!

TF-100 or K-2006 is a must with the TF-100 being the better value. If you store it well and don't need to SLAM, reagents could last you two seasons.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Whether your season is 12 months or 3 months, proper testing is important. In fact, I'd almost say it's MORE important with a short season. Only so many days to enjoy the pool so make sure you're testing right and chemistry is correct for all of them!

TF-100 or K-2006 is a must with the TF-100 being the better value. If you store it well and don't need to SLAM, reagents could last you two seasons.

I though this too, However my swim season will be from mid May to early August. My wife is a teacher and our swim season will be decided alot by this.After schools starts there will be very minimal time to use it. I also live in a cold climate so my pool will be Drained and taken down by early September. So I have 3 months to keep my levels in balance. Reading pool school it recommends a simple 2 way test kits for temporary pools. I would honestly like a half step between that an the TF100 K-2006.
    I have been looking at the k-1004 kit or a pool master kit. I just haven't had time to research them yet.
    6000 gal
    AG
    Cartridge Filter
    15000 gal SWG 1500GPH pump
    Install Date TBD