Still cloudy

Apr 14, 2016
Cleveland, OH
First time posting on the site. I opened my pool this year and for the first time it was a swampy mess. I have been working on it now for two weeks, have been filtering it nonstop, I have shocked it a few times. Today we are at a point where we can see the bottom and have been for the last four to five days. However, it is still cloudy and it seems like it has hit a wall. I continue to brush the bottom of the pool and the sidewalls. When I brush it still seems like there is a cloud of debris on the floor. I have vacuumed it several times with my robotic vacuum and by hand. Below are my test results from today with my Taylor test kit. Any advice would help.

FC - 2.0
TC - 2.0
PH - 7.2
TA - 150
CYA - 40

30 foot round Above Ground
Backyard Aqua Designs 1.5 hp pump and cartridge filter.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: When a pool gets algae, we don't shock it, we "SLAM" it - link below in my sig. I would recommend performing everything listed on the SLAM page. For a CYA of 40, your FC should be 16, maintained 24/7 with pump running. Don't leave anything out on the SLAM page and it will work for you. Good luck!

In my signature there's a link to Poolmath Calculator. It's what we all use. Just enter your NOW and TARGET/GOAL values and it tells you how much to add. For the FC row (bleach), make sure you manually enter the "weight" for the correct percentage bleach you are getting.

For testing, you must have a Taylor K-2005 or smaller. You need to order the "FAS-DPD" portion to supplement that kit. You can order it HERE.

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are using a K-2005 DPD kit. This is almost what you need but it lacks the FAS-DPD test, which can measure accurately up to 50 ppm. This test is vital to properly SLAM a pool and to perform the OCLT to determine when you are done with the SLAM. It can be found here: TFTestkits.net as well as other places online if you prefer.

Texas linked the wrong thing, it only contains the chemicals and is designed as an Addon to the TF-100 or K-2006. The one I linked contains the kit hardware as well as the R-0003 which is needed to test for combined chlorine, another test required to perform the OCLT.

... Um... You put your gallon capacity in that field, not the diameter of your pool. You told it that your pool is only 30 gallons. Your pool is more like 24,000 gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL Poor Johnny! Trying to do the "correct" thing and get messed up. At least you know now and are able to move forward. What I really love is you KNEW something was not right and asked about it! NOW you will be able to start helping others that are just starting out.

Kim:cat:

Welp, my pool is still cloudy. SLAM is complete. At this point I feel as though maybe it is my filter. I am brushing the pool 2-3 x's a day. I've vacuumed it several times but I feel like maybe the cartridge filter is not catching everything? Went I sweep the bottom I still see a cloud of what I believe is dirt. This is driving me nuts!! There are no more clumps of dead algae like there was before. Any advise??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welp, my pool is still cloudy. SLAM is complete. At this point I feel as though maybe it is my filter. I am brushing the pool 2-3 x's a day. I've vacuumed it several times but I feel like maybe the cartridge filter is not catching everything? Went I sweep the bottom I still see a cloud of what I believe is dirt. This is driving me nuts!! There are no more clumps of dead algae like there was before. Any advise??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If your pool is cloudy, the SLAM is not complete

When:
  • CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

What test kit are you using? Two days ago you didn't have one of the recommended kits.

Johnny, the only thing that has me concerned is that even though you had been trying to resolve the issue for a couple weeks prior, you have barely been doing the official TFP SLAM for 2 days. A cartridge filter should do just fine and long as it's not physically damaged. It is extremely rare to complete a SLAM that quickly. Now if you are indeed still seeing white partials on the floor, it's possible it's dead algae, but you would want to make sure. Would you like to post another full set of numbers for us to look at?

Turns out I had the proper test kit after all!! Just wasn't looking at it properly. My first time with a kit like this. Used to use guess strips. Here are my numbers I just took.

FC - 15 (was maybe 16 yesterday)
TC - 20
PH - 7.2
TA - 150 (a little high)
CYA - 40

I'm not sure if it is dead algae or just dirt. Should I be running my pump on high or low? Also, this is the same filter I used when I opened the pool up and the pool was a swamp. I've rinsed it out several times. When I run it on high it is generally at 15 psi but lately it doesn't take long to go to 20 psi. Should I give it an overnight soak in cartridge cleaner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running the pump on low should be fine. But your chlorine reading shows there's still a problem if that's correct. FC is your free chlorine (Bleach) that is doing it's job. CC is the combined chlorine that remains after FC has done its job and is waiting oxidation. TC is total chlorine which is a combination of the two. So, TC = FC + CC. In your test results, your CC would then be 5.0. We never want to see it over "0.5". Big difference. So that would explain the cloudiness and even why your filter would be clogging quicker. Even that more important to continue the SLAM, and make sure to not leave anything out on that SLAM page (link below). Simply spraying the filter should suffice for now. We'll watch that as the SLAM goes on.

Hey Texas, does continuing the SLAM and keeping my FC at 16 eventually bring down the CC or do I need to SLAM to a higher FC?
If your CYA is truly 40 then the shck value is 16. You hold it there until all three criteria are met.

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.