Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Still cloudy

First time posting on the site. I opened my pool this year and for the first time it was a swampy mess. I have been working on it now for two weeks, have been filtering it nonstop, I have shocked it a few times. Today we are at a point where we can see the bottom and have been for the last four to five days. However, it is still cloudy and it seems like it has hit a wall. I continue to brush the bottom of the pool and the sidewalls. When I brush it still seems like there is a cloud of debris on the floor. I have vacuumed it several times with my robotic vacuum and by hand. Below are my test results from today with my Taylor test kit. Any advice would help.

FC - 2.0
    TC - 2.0
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 150
    CYA - 40

30 foot round Above Ground
    Backyard Aqua Designs 1.5 hp pump and cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still cloudy

Hello and welcome to TFP! When a pool gets algae, we don't shock it, we "SLAM" it - link below in my sig. I would recommend performing everything listed on the SLAM page. For a CYA of 40, your FC should be 16, maintained 24/7 with pump running. Don't leave anything out on the SLAM page and it will work for you. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Question though: how do I know how much chlorine or bleach to add to get to my shock level of 16?? Also, how do I test for a shock level of 16?? My kit doesn't go that high.

4. Back To Top    #4

In my signature there's a link to Poolmath Calculator. It's what we all use. Just enter your NOW and TARGET/GOAL values and it tells you how much to add. For the FC row (bleach), make sure you manually enter the "weight" for the correct percentage bleach you are getting.

For testing, you must have a Taylor K-2005 or smaller. You need to order the "FAS-DPD" portion to supplement that kit. You can order it HERE.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are using a K-2005 DPD kit. This is almost what you need but it lacks the FAS-DPD test, which can measure accurately up to 50 ppm. This test is vital to properly SLAM a pool and to perform the OCLT to determine when you are done with the SLAM. It can be found here: TFTestkits.net as well as other places online if you prefer.

Texas linked the wrong thing, it only contains the chemicals and is designed as an Addon to the TF-100 or K-2006. The one I linked contains the kit hardware as well as the R-0003 which is needed to test for combined chlorine, another test required to perform the OCLT.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks "D"!

7. Back To Top    #7

So I worked on the pool math and it said that with my 30 ft round pool I need to add 0.4 oz of 10% bleach to raise the FC from 2.0 to 16.0?? I'm not sure I understand this. If I have a 1 gallon jug (128 oz) I only add 0.4?? Please help!!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

... Um... You put your gallon capacity in that field, not the diameter of your pool. You told it that your pool is only 30 gallons. Your pool is more like 24,000 gallons.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I put 21,200 gallons in the field under "size".

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Ok, not as funny of an oopsy as I thought. Take out the comma and it will work.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hahahaha! **** me and my grammar! It works now. Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

LOL Poor Johnny! Trying to do the "correct" thing and get messed up. At least you know now and are able to move forward. What I really love is you KNEW something was not right and asked about it! NOW you will be able to start helping others that are just starting out.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Welp, my pool is still cloudy. SLAM is complete. At this point I feel as though maybe it is my filter. I am brushing the pool 2-3 x's a day. I've vacuumed it several times but I feel like maybe the cartridge filter is not catching everything? Went I sweep the bottom I still see a cloud of what I believe is dirt. This is driving me nuts!! There are no more clumps of dead algae like there was before. Any advise??

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyeyez View Post
    Welp, my pool is still cloudy. SLAM is complete. At this point I feel as though maybe it is my filter. I am brushing the pool 2-3 x's a day. I've vacuumed it several times but I feel like maybe the cartridge filter is not catching everything? Went I sweep the bottom I still see a cloud of what I believe is dirt. This is driving me nuts!! There are no more clumps of dead algae like there was before. Any advise??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If your pool is cloudy, the SLAM is not complete

When:
    • CC is 0.5 or lower;
    • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

What test kit are you using? Two days ago you didn't have one of the recommended kits.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

15. Back To Top    #15

Johnny, the only thing that has me concerned is that even though you had been trying to resolve the issue for a couple weeks prior, you have barely been doing the official TFP SLAM for 2 days. A cartridge filter should do just fine and long as it's not physically damaged. It is extremely rare to complete a SLAM that quickly. Now if you are indeed still seeing white partials on the floor, it's possible it's dead algae, but you would want to make sure. Would you like to post another full set of numbers for us to look at?

16. Back To Top    #16

Turns out I had the proper test kit after all!! Just wasn't looking at it properly. My first time with a kit like this. Used to use guess strips. Here are my numbers I just took.

FC - 15 (was maybe 16 yesterday)
    TC - 20
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 150 (a little high)
    CYA - 40

I'm not sure if it is dead algae or just dirt. Should I be running my pump on high or low? Also, this is the same filter I used when I opened the pool up and the pool was a swamp. I've rinsed it out several times. When I run it on high it is generally at 15 psi but lately it doesn't take long to go to 20 psi. Should I give it an overnight soak in cartridge cleaner?

17. Back To Top    #17

Running the pump on low should be fine. But your chlorine reading shows there's still a problem if that's correct. FC is your free chlorine (Bleach) that is doing it's job. CC is the combined chlorine that remains after FC has done its job and is waiting oxidation. TC is total chlorine which is a combination of the two. So, TC = FC + CC. In your test results, your CC would then be 5.0. We never want to see it over "0.5". Big difference. So that would explain the cloudiness and even why your filter would be clogging quicker. Even that more important to continue the SLAM, and make sure to not leave anything out on that SLAM page (link below). Simply spraying the filter should suffice for now. We'll watch that as the SLAM goes on.

18. Back To Top    #18

Turns out I had the proper test kit after all!!
    Can you let us know what kit you are using? The recommended kits show Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine FC/CC not Total Chlorine TC (unless you are doing addition).

With cloudy water and a CC of 5 you have a ways to go before the SLAM is over.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

19. Back To Top    #19

Hey Texas, does continuing the SLAM and keeping my FC at 16 eventually bring down the CC or do I need to SLAM to a higher FC?

20. Back To Top    #20

Hey Texas, does continuing the SLAM and keeping my FC at 16 eventually bring down the CC or do I need to SLAM to a higher FC?
    If your CYA is truly 40 then the shck value is 16. You hold it there until all three criteria are met.

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast