Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question for pump gurus (troubleshooting)

1. Back To Top    #1

Question for pump gurus (troubleshooting)

Hi all,

I had posted this as a continuation of a question I had about cloudy sand in my pool in another thread, but as my question now shifted to pump mechanics I thought I'd move it here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandsJacket View Post
    Good news for anyone following along. I think the white dust was just a byproduct of all the leaves and organic matter breaking down.
    After running the pump for 24 hours it was almost all cleared up and I didn't have to add anything to the pool.

Only thing is now my pump seems to be busted? I turned it off (service mode) to clear the filter of the sandy mess at the filter integrated into the pump (challenger pentair made by century centurion) and when I went to turn it back on I can hear power going to the pump but it won't move water and then clicks off audibly after maybe 5 seconds. Seems like it is also overheating. Luckily we have a home warranty so I'm hoping it is covered and can get it fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22,000 gal SWG plaster pool with spa and waterfall wall.
    DE Filter; Gas Heater; AquaRite system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question for pump gurus (troubleshooting)

I tried, for lack of a better term, "jiggling" a wire coat hanger around into the intake pipe but could only get it maybe 2 inches past the opening. I pulled the filter basket out and cleaned it completely then replaced it correctly. Not sure if I need to do something else to check the impeller or if it sounds like I did it right.

I tried filling the pump with a hose, ran it for probably 10 minutes at 3/4 strength flow but it seems to continue to drain through the system as opposed to ever actually filling up. I hope that doesn't mean a leak has sprung somewhere?

3. Back To Top    #3

For anyone still following along, sounds like the motor was shot. They are going to replace it with a rebuilt motor (through my home warranty) and I am hoping it gets me through the summer. I planned on upgrading the heater/pump set up this fall anyways to get better warming results.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions in the other thread!

4. Back To Top    #4

Our first yeah I this home with a pool. July will ne one year. Prior owner had the shaft seals leaking killing the motor. Without a squirrel cage blower running airflow over pump motor it would trip off on thermal overload. Nursed it over the summer but now trying to find the best value in a 2 speed-230V pump.

In in my limited pool knowledge it seems pump is shot or has a major blockage causing it to work really hard.

Good old luck OP.
    20x40 inground liner pool.
    Hayward SP1030x152az pump
    1.5 HP two speed pump.
    polaris 3/4 HP booster pump
    SWG and controller