air in vac line issue

mrCide

Apr 25, 2016
Coral Springs, FL
Hello. I'm a new homeowner, purchased in January and came with a pool! I'm trying to take a shot at taking care of it myself and that led me to TFP. I bought a Hayward Poolvernugen (suction) and in preparation was trying to get familiar with the plumbing for my in-ground pool.

SETUP: Pump has two sources feeding it, one is Drain with a 2way Jandy/nolube, the other is a skimmer/vacuum with a 3 way grey Jandy. Pump returns to a Hayward cartridge filter to two returns in the pool. What I want to do is have my skimmer and suction cleaner on and shut off my drain

PROBLEM: Air is coming into the line and pressure drops 2-3 psi when closing the drain valve.

Initially I just had the drain valve open and changed the 3-way to 50/50 vac and skimmer. I was only getting 8 rpm on the cleaner so I decided to just close the main drain. When I did this I saw air getting into the pump basket and the pressure dropped. I unplugged the cleaner to make sure it wasn't the source and have the same problem. Having only the vacuum (skimmer and main drain closed) shows the issue more prominently. Closing the main drain and only running the skimmer SEEMS to be okay also. Opening the main drain slightly while having skimmer/vac 50/50 seems to alleviate the issue which is how I have it going right now.

I can certainly keep it the way it is but I'm concerned. Basic research tells me that forcing high suction on the vac line is causing the following:

- Jandy valve(s) are letting in air possible bad seal
- Pump basket letting in air possible bad seal
- Possible leak somewhere along PVC plumbing on vac line
- Possible clog in vac line (would pressure go up in this case instead of down?).

Is the way I'm trying to configure the plumbing incorrect? Hope the post is clear. If anyone can offer any insight it would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

You need to allow enough water to flow to feed your pump, and when you don't it can look like an air leak. You are on the right track. Close the drain a little to get the suction you need without having the turbulence in the pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.