Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: R-0011L Gumed up?

1. Back To Top    #1

St. Petersburg, FL

R-0011L Gumed up?

Good day all,

I am new to the post though I've had my pool for about a year now and have ordered the TF-100 test kit. I have had very few problems and am very happy with my pool. I pulled out my test kit to run a full water test and noticed the R-0011L calcium reagent was plugged up. I used a needle and ran the test anyway.

My question is; will this effect the reagent and give me a false reading?

I would appreciate any help that can be given.

-Jesse W

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: R-0011L Gumed up?

How old is the R-0011L reagent or when was it purchased from tftestkits? Have you been storing the kit in a cool, dry place? As long as the bottle itself hasn't been stained by the dye, the reagent is good. See here for more detail on each test with some infor about each reagent: Extended Test Kit Directions
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: R-0011L Gumed up?

The precise amount used isn't critical for the R-0011L. It's just an indicator. More/bigger drops just means the color is deeper. I had the same problem with a new bottle, so I just popped out the dropper tip and exchanged it with the one on my empty bottle.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!