Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a separate strainer / filter on sheer descent waterfalls?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a separate strainer / filter on sheer descent waterfalls?

Title line says it all.

I see that Jandy recommends it but does not require until a separate pump is being used. Our descents are part of the primary filter system.

Now is the time to install if it is needed before we fire up the pool. We will be delaying starting the decent for a while until pool is ensured to be clean.

Jandy Sheer Descent Strainer
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need a separate strainer / filter on sheer descent waterfalls?

Not if the water is coming from after the filter. There's nothing bigger than a few microns in that water, so no additional strainer is needed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome, thanks.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

we have one (post-filter), it was just part of the install, although we had to remind them to put it in after we paid for it. They had to cut into the pipe and put these weird-angled joints on there. ANYWAY, I clean it once a year when I do the filter and I haven't ever found much of anything in it. It affects the pressure slightly getting to the sheer. I suppose the thinking is that it's an investment against having to unclog the sheer/disassembling your wall.

I'd say it's insurance in case your filter fails or gets a rip in it. If you are in tune with your pool and would notice filter problems right away you don't need it.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir