Time to replace a lateral? - Any tips or tricks?

Aug 19, 2008
Ada, OK
At the end of last summer I had two problems going at one time. The first was mustard algae, the second was sand in the bottom of the pool. I fought the algae and hoped the sand was actually dead algae.

Opened the pool to a mess of sand and leaves that had been there for the winter. Last night I vacuumed to waste as thouroughly as I possibly could. (I wasn't worried about the water loss because the pool guy who opened the pool shocked it and I needed to get my CYA levels way down. :rant: ) After vacuuming the pool ran using only the main drain another three hours while I added water and bleach.

When I got up this morning, there was a decent amount of sand on the bottom of the pool especially on the seams of the liner...

I'm assuming that this is all the proof I need to know that this is a broken lateral that is allowing sand from the filter to escape into the pool and not dead algae from last summers battle.?.

With that, is there a better way to empty the sand from the filter than scooping it out with a cup? I have a hayward filter that opens only on the top and holds 300 pounds of sand. I read somewhere else (not TFP) that you can use a shop vac. Anyone tried that?

Also, should I go ahead and replace the sand or can I fix the lateral and put the old sand back in?

Finally, just in case you need to know today's levels were:
FC - 11.5
CC - .5 or less
PH - 7.2
TA - 160
CYA - 50

My FC did not drop much at all during the night last night, so I think I'm algae free.

Thanks for this forum. I have learned a lot and am enjoying being a pool owner much more now that I feel I am somewhat in control instead of the kid at the pool store.

Most wet/dry vacs will do a fairly good job of getting the sand out, way easier than doing it manually. Just remember to empty the vacuum regularly, sand is heavy and the weight can damage the vac if it gets too full.

I believe that is one of those filters with a multi-position valve right on the top. Be careful taking the valve off and make sure the stand pipe isn't stuck to the valve when you pull the valve off.

Depending on how old the sand is, it is probably worth reusing. You will presumably need at least a little new sand, given that sand has been leaking out and you will also lose some getting it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.