Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flex PVC on New Construction Raised Spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern California

Flex PVC on New Construction Raised Spa

hi guys,
    I have a quick question, have been looking at a lot of new construction pools on this forum and noticed that a lot of the spas have "flex pvc" pipe going around in a circle in the spa before the gunite. I did my research and also people have recommended strictly rigid pvc. I have a circular spa that is raised and I was thinking on using this to avoid using too many fittings to make the circle. Any advise?
    Remodel Completion 8/22/16. Pool-16x32', Raised Stacked Stone Spa with Waterfall - 9x9', Pool Depth 4-6', Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Intelliflo VF Pump, WhisperFlow 2HP Pump, Pentair 320 Clean and Clear filter, Easytouch 8, Screenlogic 2, (3) Pentair Globrites, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 1.5HP Blower, 4 Sheer Descent Waterfalls, Rico Rock Waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Flex PVC on New Construction Raised Spa

Rigid PVC is more durable than flexible PVC, that's why it's recommended. Depending on your region/state (please add your location to your profile!), termites and a few other ground pests could potentially chew away at flexible PVC but wouldn't be at all interested or able to damage rigid PVC. Many contractors are capable and masterful at bending rigid PVC using a torch while installing, so having the same number of fittings as flex PVC but the advantage of rigid PVC. It will likely cost more though, but worth it for the long haul. Flexible PVC is OK, but rigid would be better... again how much better depends on your location.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Tucson, Arizona

Similar to what JVTrain said, we just watched our plumber "torch" the rigid pvc for our pool. Once the PVC is heated up, it looks like a wet noodle and can bend a surprising amount. Maybe not as tight of turns as using 90 or 45 degree elbows, but definitely enough for a circle to go around a spa.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mesa, Az

The best way to bend rigid PVC is with a PVC pipe oven, electric heat gun or heat blanket made for the task. Torching can work, but it is more likely to cause damage to the pipe if not done carefully.