Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates to TA comparison

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates to TA comparison

Can you compare the same buffering ability of borates to TA? Really the question I'm asking is: How many ppm of borates = the same buffering power of 10 ppm of TA?
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Borates to TA comparison

Quote Originally Posted by smackdab View Post
    Can you compare the same buffering ability of borates to TA? Really the question I'm asking is: How many ppm of borates = the same buffering power of 10 ppm of TA?
    TA encompasses both carbonate alkalinity as well as borate alkalinity (and cyanurate alkalinity). They are all species that buffer the pool water against changes in hydrogen ion concentration. They also have different pKa values and so their buffering strength is different at different pH values. Carbonate and cyanurate alkalinity tends to buffer against increases in hydrogen ion concentration (lowering of pH) while borates buffer against decreasing hydrogen ion concentration (rising pH).

Chem geek has posted about the buffering capacity of pool water in these two posts -

pH Buffer Capacity

TA--What is it really?

You can't think of it as borates being a "replacement" for carbonates, they are complementary to one another.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates