Kathe

Jun 1, 2015
Saline, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
IMG_1131.jpgI just wanted to share with you what we did to make removing our solar blanket easier for our above ground pool. I'll give you the possible negative first... you have to be in the pool to do this. But then I'd be getting in to swim anyway.

I bought 4 2.5' bungee cords with the hooks covered in a thin plastic at Ace Hdware. I hang the cords around my neck and get into pool. I push and sort of accordian pleat the cover as I go towards the other side. I hook the cord over the rim and hook the other end over the cover and under it, hooking that end onto the underwater rim. When I say rim, it is not the "side of the pool" but the rim of the piece that fits over the side of the pool. I hook the other cords spaced to secure the blanket around the inside curve of the pool. I still have plenty of room to swim and the blanket is floating on the water and so no heavy lifting is required. When we are done swimming, last one out unhooks the cover and unfolds it by letting it redrift over the water. Sometimes takes a little bit of maneuvering, but you would get the hang of it. No wear and tear on the cover and one person can do it.

I'm also planning to experiment a bit with "Heatsvr" liquid cover. Our heat pump needs repairing and so no heat right now. I'm not planning to jump into 70 degree water while it is only 60 outside. So no cover on pool yet. I thought I'd try some liquid cover to see what it did. Anyway....Happy Swimming Season!

Ive used the bungee cord method and it works. I would love to invest in a solar reel this year though. I'm buying a new solar cover next week.

I figured that since I'm not using the cover right now, I'd just try it for myself. I'm sure we will go back to the cover unless I find that the liquid works. People seem to be split on whether it works or not. I know the cover works. Do you have any experience with the liquid?

- - - Updated - - -

And here I thought that I'd invented this inexpensive method...LOL! It does work!

The liquid mostly slows evaporation which is the largest component of heat loss in a pool. The water can still radiate and convect heat away. The major downside to the liquid approach is that the surface of the water has to be ABSOLUTELY still or else any ripple will immediately breakup the liquid film. Unless you live in a very sheltered area with no wind, then it will not work very well.

Also, the liquid tends to leave a scum/dirt line at the water's edge that had to be cleaned off. Chlorine can make the scum line very tacky so it's best to not let it "age".

A good product for above ground pools is the solar saddle. Essentially J shaped pvc hooks that allow you pull the cover out of the pool and hang in on the side. I think i paid 90 or 100 bucks for it and it was worth it (though certainly more than the cords). I put an inground pool in last year and b/c I didn't want to bother with the solar cover anymore I figured I'd try the liquid. It was pretty good. Not as good as the solar cover but it helped reduce the heat loss compared to having nothing (so I felt anyway). I'm going to use it again. Worth it imo to be able to skip the hassle of the solar cover. I keep my pool open and heated from mid May through mid September and my gas bill was never more than $90 for the month with the heater and grill going. I keep the pool at 86. If my neighbor forgets to put their solar cover on I can see the evaporation in the mornings (though they may keep their pool considerably warmer than I do, I'm not sure what they keep it at).

Hi. No. I get gunk buildup from the tons of suntan lotion we use but it's not gummy. Nothing changed when I used the liquid (too bad it didn't dissolve the lotion, haha).

Thanks for sharing, I usually role the cover up on a pvc pipe and lift it out, but I've been looking for something that my wife could do in a pinch or when just hopping in with the kids for a quick swim during the week. This should do it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted you all to know that I did indeed put liquid Heatsvr into pool. 4 oz. Last night water was 60 degrees. Air got down into 30s last night. Pool water was 58 this am. Not bad. I do have soft ripples on pool due to running pump on low. I notice no haze. Bugs seem to float on top which makes them easy to skim off. I can't run our heat pump right now due to waiting for repair.

Love your setup, it's gorgeous. I wish we had space around our AG for a deck, we're squeezed into a narrow yard. BUT - once we're in, we're happy. ;) I've just unpacked my solar cover, and put it on myself in the pool. So cumbersome. I like your bungee idea. :) Looking at building a reel though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.