Concrete pool with Fiberglass walls leaks now what ?

May 27, 2013
Richland,Michigan
So I live in Michigan and have owned our pool for just over two years with pretty good luck so far.
Well we noticed the winter cover was pretty low in the pool so I removed it today.
Water level is about 16 inches below where it was in the fall so pretty sure it leaking.
Unfortunately the inground pool is old guessing 30 yrs.

Water level is at pool light level so that is my first thought to check that for leaks.
Also the fiberglass walls are looking tired an have some hairline cracks and one spot that has a old repaired crack that is most likely failing
but is above the water line as it sits right now.

I'm pretty good at construction and not afraid to try and fix things on my own so questions are.

Best product to repair/caulk pool light ?
Best way or product to seal hairline cracks ?
Best way or product to seal a foot long larger crack ?
Also if I'm doing all this I would like to redo the caulk that they have where the fiberglass walls meet the concrete bottom.
What caulk would be recommended for this ?

Thanks
jp

JP, all wonderfull questions, Being you are from michigan my recommendation would be to find a fiberglass boat repair facility, they have the tools and know how to fix fiberglass.. now, can you do it, yes :) look at the many videos on repairing fiberglass boats, your pool is the same thing, your just holding water in and boats hold it out :)

make sure you know what the water level is under your pool before you empty, any pool can pop out of the ground when emptied (remember its a boat)

CC, Thanks for the boat repair idea. I don't mind paying someone who can do a nice job. So will look into that.
Figure I would use AB Putty for the light. I haven't open it up yet but water level is about 2 inches above the bottom of light and has not leaked any more.

I still would like to get a name of a good/really good pool caulk to redo the seam where fiberglass wall meets the concrete floor.
So if anyone could recommend a one,would be grateful.
Will try and get some pics up soon.

I too vote for boat repair. Also fiberglass pool installers though they may balk at the work. They may know the best product to seal the bottom side joint.

Don't get to far ahead of yourself on the light. In your case (and in most cases) the leak is in the niche itself, not in the conduit. Conduit properly installed is vey resliant stuff and is generally not the source of leaks. Its the niche or here where the fiberglass meets the niche. Is there concrete behind the fiberglass.

So after three weeks of rain and another three weeks waiting on a pool guy to show :mad: I ended up fixing the pool cracks myself.

I used 3M 5200 adhesive caulk on all the cracks. Worked pretty well and was easy to use. Stuff is strong as h*ll and can cure underwater if needed.
The cracks around my skimmer I fiberglassed and went over the top of the new fiberglass with more 5200. Looks pretty good all things considered.

So far so good. NO Leaks. Need to float around with a cold one to make sure its all good.:)

Oh I also redid the bottom of the wall where it meets the concrete with new Permaseal caulk.

Reactions: Sarpilot2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.