Wedding cake step pad?

Apr 24, 2016
Gate City, VA
New pool owner here (of an old pool). I took the wedding cake steps out of my pool for the winter, pretty sure its the first time they have been removed!! Lots of debris/leaves underneath. There was 4 bags of sand totally greened up but still in one piece (barely) holding the steps down. There was one step pad that was duct taped to the back of the stairs between the wall and the stairs. When I put the stairs back in, do I need the pad on the back of the stairs or the bottom? Or both? Also is there any downfalls to cutting the pad to fit and gluing it to the back/bottom of the stairs?

Welcome! :wave:

If you use the search box up in the corner for "wedding cake" you'll find hundreds of old threads. Some of them discuss weights that don't breed algae. Some also show how people have made holes to allow better water flow to keep algae away. I'm also pretty sure there are posts about pads. I recall rubber shower mats as one solution, and possibly a slit pool noodle, but don;t quote me on that.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing quite a bit of searching and haven't found anyone that has mentioned glueing the pad to the steps. I am thinking that is the route I'm gonna go, so maybe I will be the first person to post about it! :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think that could work. Last season a few of us re-purposed some home depot plastic shelving units to make platforms for kids. I took cabinet liner and used JB Weld to attach it to the bottom and it worked well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.