Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wedding cake step pad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wedding cake step pad?

New pool owner here (of an old pool). I took the wedding cake steps out of my pool for the winter, pretty sure its the first time they have been removed!! Lots of debris/leaves underneath. There was 4 bags of sand totally greened up but still in one piece (barely) holding the steps down. There was one step pad that was duct taped to the back of the stairs between the wall and the stairs. When I put the stairs back in, do I need the pad on the back of the stairs or the bottom? Or both? Also is there any downfalls to cutting the pad to fit and gluing it to the back/bottom of the stairs?

28' Round Above Ground Pool (1999?) 17,000 gallons
    Pump -Hayward Power-Flo LX Pump 1.5 hp
    Sand Filter - Hayward Sand Master
    1 Skimmer
    1 Return

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wedding cake step pad?

I've had my wedding cake steps for 5 years and have never used a pad under them. Haven't had any problems.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

If you use the search box up in the corner for "wedding cake" you'll find hundreds of old threads. Some of them discuss weights that don't breed algae. Some also show how people have made holes to allow better water flow to keep algae away. I'm also pretty sure there are posts about pads. I recall rubber shower mats as one solution, and possibly a slit pool noodle, but don;t quote me on that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Rubber tub mat's works great.They stick and stay

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing quite a bit of searching and haven't found anyone that has mentioned glueing the pad to the steps. I am thinking that is the route I'm gonna go, so maybe I will be the first person to post about it!

28' Round Above Ground Pool (1999?) 17,000 gallons
    Pump -Hayward Power-Flo LX Pump 1.5 hp
    Sand Filter - Hayward Sand Master
    1 Skimmer
    1 Return

6. Back To Top    #6

I think that could work. Last season a few of us re-purposed some home depot plastic shelving units to make platforms for kids. I took cabinet liner and used JB Weld to attach it to the bottom and it worked well.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure on glueing.I've alway's got the heavy duty Clear bath mats from Walmart that have the suction cups on them.I just lay them on the floor and set step's on them.

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit