Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening the pool

Hello friends!
    2nd year of owning my 15 by 30 oval pool. I didn't do my homework last year but now that I've read many articles and such, I've be aware that there different methods. Last year, I was using sodium dichloro (shock) and trichloro chlorine tabs. Of course I've realized you should never mix these. I was of course use algaecide weekly with shocking. Was not experienced till now with buying a tayor kit to text me own pool. Hear about the BBB method and also have told myself I'm using chlorine tabs but wanting to use liquid chlorine. I did open my pool a couoek days to install a new skimmer and my water is blue. But that's for now. Cya levels could go up years ago by causing me issues and I feel that I've spent a lot monthly compared to others

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening the Pool

Hello and welcome to TFP. You may still have lots of questions, so make sure to checkout the Pool School page for the best info (link below). Also, having the right test kit is a must (TF-100 link below). If you have more questions, just let us know. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi and welcome, This is my second year with TFP and have owned my pool for 19 years. Trust me when I say, if you follow the methods here you will have a sparkling clean pool that you love to swim in AND as Kimkats would say, you'll have extra cash in your wallet for more important things.

I opened my pool every year to a green swamp. Following TFP I opened this year to a pool that I could see the bottom on. TWO days into opening, I did a quick SLAM and the pool is ready to swim in. Everything is on the money chemical wise. I got in today but water was not warm enough for me yet.

Bottom line these folks are great and will help you every step of the way. Ok enough of the commercial .....Again welcome aboard
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Opening the pool

HI! Great that you got a good test kit! When you say your water is blue do you mean it is clear?

Have you run your tests on the water yet? What did you find?

Yeah for having more money for the fun things for the pool instead of the boring stuff LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

hello kim, yes, its clear (blue) i was surprised with my work but again its only year two. i havent tested yet but have intentions on opening within a week. ive learn that your cya levels are up it would cost more to chlorinate. i feel that i spent to much money last year not doing my homework up till now. my mother uses pucks and liquid bleach and never had an issue but she also had a salt pool. i have read the bbb method and wanted to use it which it states to not use pucks. once i test and if my cya levels are up i have plans of starting back over. im just trying to take care of my small issue and be on board with others. i do have intentions on filling the info about my pool but i have not found the link yet

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome Cage!

To fill out your signature....go to the right upper part of the page and you will see "Settings" located directly under the Pool School logo. Click on it and it will take you to all your settings information. Then to the left of that page, about halfway down, is a choice for "Edit signature" under the My Profile section.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your state to your location in your profile so it show up <-----, climate is important to pool care. Also, add your pool info to your sig as shown here,Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

hello guys, i do believe i finally got everything set in stone. now hoping to create a foundation here because iv'e picked up some detailed info and that came from just reading.
    2015 built myself~15x30x52(15k)AG,vinyl liner~Hayward166t (16'' sand filter w1 Hp pump) Hayward sp1580 power-flo lx series~taylor2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks for reaching out! it means a lot. seems as tho you have come up with a great system that works for you. i can understand the frustrations that you may have encountered over the years. having some help esp with people who aren't at a pool store is nice because you get honesty. iv'e done good so far but after doing my homework, i realize that i was just winging it and hoping things would go great. i just want to lock a system down that will work for me so i can pass it down to others who will be maintaining my pool if i were to ever have leave. as i mentioned, i feel that i went over board because i didn't want the slimy tadpole pond being a factor for me.
    2015 built myself~15x30x52(15k)AG,vinyl liner~Hayward166t (16'' sand filter w1 Hp pump) Hayward sp1580 power-flo lx series~taylor2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, looking good. Read here for a refresher on taking care of your water, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

See if this helps your find a system that works for you on a daily bases. I like to add my FC in the evening so it has all night to do it's thing with out the sun taking any.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

2 year pool owner

Have not tested yet. But reading I've discovered you need to fill water to skimmer level, allow water to turn and then test levels? I haven't used the BBB method but I was using dischlorine,trichlorine, extra blue shock from Lowes and algaecide once a week. I feel like that system was expensive but yet my water is crystal as of now after closing in mid December. Any help would be awesome

13. Back To Top    #13

I like the ABC pool chemistry. I usually add my chemicals during the night. Last year, I didn't have an exact test as I do this year. I used strips which never gave me anything. I ballbarked everything last year but then, my water was always crystal. As far as chemicals, I just want to get on a system and not run my pockets low as I my have last year. I also don't want to switch what I've done if only problems are going to exist but then I do realize that pucks over time causes problems as well. So I'm in a jam and I've not open my pool which again, that will create a problem

14. Back To Top    #14

Experience tells us this ..... if you reply on the pool store for testing, advice, or chemicals, you will most usually receive bad info and/or be over-charged. TFP is by-far the most user-friendly and cost-effective approach to pool care. BUT, you have to test the water on your own so you can buy the simple products from the grocery or hardware store (i.e. bleach, acid) that is required. It all starts there - proper testing. That one up-front cost in the right test kit will pay for itself many times over from what you would spend at pool stores and such. If you want to do it, all the tools (instructions) are here. You just need the test kit. Good luck, and have a great evening.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!