Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CH?

1. Back To Top    #1

High CH?

So...I just put in what Leslie's told me to (before I came here and bought my own test kit!!!).

My CH was 150. VINYL Pool....and they sold me a big tub of Calcium.
    Live and learn.

What are the hazards of a CH of 500 in an SWG Vinyl Pool?
    Water looks great. Didn't know if it was worth a partial drain and fill or if I should just let it deplete naturally.
    TA 110 PH 7.5 FC 7 CYA 55 and rising (working on the FC and CYA already).
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CH?

I suspect at this point your biggest concern would be more with the SWG than anything. I would ensure you keep the TA and pH on the slightly lower end for now to help compensate for the elevated CH. You can evaluate the effects of TA, pH, and CH on the CSI row of the Poolmath Calculator. While CSI is primarily a concern for plaster pools, it might be helpful in your case with the SWG.

Here's a good conversation about that very issue: SWG vs. BBB for High CH Water

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

According to Pool Math, my CSI is only 0.01
    Does that mean I shouldn't worry about the CH for now?

We're supposed to get rain a few days in a row coming up and I am adding CYA and can't drain the pool for a week any way.
    But didn't know if I need to do a round of MA to get the TA down.
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber

4. Back To Top    #4

Dang pool store! Yes, that is fine for now. Anything between -0.3 to +0.3 is good. It is best to keep CSI slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.2. This will keep you SWG a lot cleaner also.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach