Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Sta-Rite 1 HP 3450 RPM Pump P2RA5E-181L

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Sta-Rite 1 HP 3450 RPM Pump P2RA5E-181L

I want to replace the entire pumping system, including the basket strainer and impeller assembly. I'm looking at the Sta-Rite SuperMax, 1 HP. It's only about $350 for the assembly so all I need to do is wire it up and re-plumb the PVC to the new ports. Any other systems that work better, or recommended? I got 12 years out of this original pump and it froze up and a plastic switch broke in the motor. Any suggestions appreciated. I want to order a new one by Tuesday, 26 April 2016.

12 years must be the magic replacement number in New England, I just wired up and piped up a new Natural Gas heater today.
    Ken Macumber
    18,000 Gunite, salt system, 250K BTU Hayward Heater, Waterfall, Fiber Optic Perimeter Lighting.
    20 yrs pool veteran

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Sta-Rite 1 HP 3450 RPM Pump P2RA5E-181L

You would likely get better economy out of a 2 speed or a variable speed pump in the long run, although payback time may be a while with your relatively short swim season
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacing Sta-Rite 1 HP 3450 RPM Pump P2RA5E-181L

I bought a "Doheny's" same specs, complete with impeller and strainer for $200. I installed it yesterday and it runs great, and it is very quiet.
    Ken Macumber
    18,000 Gunite, salt system, 250K BTU Hayward Heater, Waterfall, Fiber Optic Perimeter Lighting.
    20 yrs pool veteran