Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found leak around Skimmer, now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Found leak around Skimmer, now what?

Hi,
    I have discovered a leak or two around the edge of my skimmer. I am not sure what to use to seal it. I think it was sealed by previous owner with something that I can scrap off with my fingernail, chalk like consistency. I didnt want to walk into Home Depot without a clue about what to get. This pool does have a re-plastering in its future, although not this year, so a semi temporary fix is ok with me. Just long enough for the Pool Repair Fairy to drop off the basket of money it is going to take!!

Thanks for any and all advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Above ground pool Pool Volume -18,000
    Finish - Painted Plaster
    Filter - Cartridge
    One Skimmer, one floor drain & two returns

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found leak around Skimmer, now what?

Hi Lula, I'm not sure but it looks like they used some sort of caulking to repair. looking at the pics I would suggest cleaning as much of the old caulking off and then use a clear silicone to reseal till the repair fairy arrives.

Hopefully one of the experts on your type of pool will read this and let us know if there is a better solution. Good luck and keeping praying to the pool gods
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Lefty - I think I found the product to use from another thread. Sikaflex self leveling polyurethane. (I am guessing here..) Hopefully this comes with complete instructions! I will scrap the old caulking off before hand. Are there are any other do's or don'ts I should know?
    Finish - Painted Plaster
    Filter - Cartridge

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I saw that mentioned elsewhere. It sounds like a good way to go. I have no experience with it, sooo I'm hoping one of the pros will see this and comment. Stand by, I'm sure one will be along shortly
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Alrighty, I am going to take the plunge and use the Sikaflex. Hoping that the silence means that I am on the right track. Have a 7 year old coming to visit for a week so I have to get that pool up and running!
    Finish - Painted Plaster
    Filter - Cartridge

6. Back To Top    #6

Any polyurethane caulk is fine, including Sikaflex.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Doesn't 'self-leveling' mean it might drip from a vertical application?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Just did this repair myself. I removed all existing caulk and used 3M 5200, which is specifically made for use under the water.
    37,000 gal IG concrete free-form, Hayward TriStar VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Polaris w/ booster pump, CircuPool RJ60g SWG, Hayward OnCommand w/ remote

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you Mattttt25,
    Can you tell me how to remove the caulk? Do I just scrape it off like I would outside of the pool? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question but I am Newbie to pools. Every time I read something I realize I have so much to learn... just the lingo alone!
    Finish - Painted Plaster
    Filter - Cartridge

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I just did a little more reading and they said the Sikaflex has the consistency of syrup. That sounds kinda drippy to me...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Correct the Sikaflex self-leveling product is poured into the joint and is used for expansion joints between pools and decks. A tube of polyurethane caulk is better for this application.

I have never heard of underwater curing caulk, but that sounds great. Thanks for jumping in with that. Most polyurethane caulks require curing prior to working under water.

Your signature says you have an above ground plaster pool. I don't think that is possible. Please verify and update your signature. Post a pic if you are unsure.

Also, make sure you read exactly what materials are needed to clean up the product that you buy. It sounds like you have not applied caulk before and are therefore likely to have a mess to clean up afterwards. These caulks are typically very difficult to clean up without the proper chemical specified by the manufacturer.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Pooldv and Pabeader -
    On average, how long does it take for polyurethane caulk to cure? I have my water level low enough that I can keep the surface dry with pump off. Also am worried about how much of the previous attempts to seal do I need to remove? down to the bone?
    Thanks again-
    Lula
    Finish - Painted Plaster
    Filter - Cartridge

13. Back To Top    #13

Each product is likely different on cure times, I don't know what is typical. You need to remove anything that is loose, especially along joints. The more removed the better chance of a good seal.
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

3M 5200 isn't recommended to be installed under the water (although I have boating experience where it has worked). But it is used for applications where it will be under the water after curing. They sell a fast-cure version that sets up in about 30 minutes and fully cures in 24 hours. That's what I used. Lower pool level to below skimmer, remove old caulk with knife/scraper, clean up, let it dry a day, apply 5200, let it cure a day, all good.

JB Weld sells a product that can be applied under the water, if you ever need it.
    37,000 gal IG concrete free-form, Hayward TriStar VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Polaris w/ booster pump, CircuPool RJ60g SWG, Hayward OnCommand w/ remote

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mattttt25 View Post
    JB Weld sells a product that can be applied under the water, if you ever need it.
    I'm going to be trying the JB WaterWeld on my skimmer this weekend. I have a skimmer ring (sits under the skimmer basket) that has separated from the skimmer bucket itself. It happened quite some time ago before I owned the pool, likely when they didn't close properly and had ice break the ring in the skimmer. It was held in place by a bit of silicone, but I'm going to try a full fix with JB WW. I should have done it before refilling but I got impatient... I'll maybe do a repair thread once I do it.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok Thanks all- will give it a go today.
    Finish - Painted Plaster
    Filter - Cartridge

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

You can use this and it is made for pools and cures under water too.

Atlas Epoxy Pool Putty Set: Epoxy Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,