Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: EC40

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    60

    EC40

    Hi, winter cover fell in so opening early in pa....

    unfortuantely, a lot o junk on the cover fell in creating some algae.

    My EC40 which i bought last year pressure rising pretty quick and not filtering very good because of. I took it apart, the fingers were dark green. Hosed them down, put filter back together and seems pressure still rising fast. Any thoughts on what the issue might be?
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: EC40

    It's clogged with algae. It's going to keep doing it until you get it all killed and filtered out. DE filters are the best at filtering and therefore the worst about clogging. Keep bumping until bumping doesn't last, then follow the cleaning routine and recharge. And follow the SLAM procedure so you get that algae killed faster than it can reproduce.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    60

    Re: EC40

    Thanks Rich, getting the liquid chlorine together. Got sidetracked by some groundhogs
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    60

    Re: EC40

    Pools looking real good, but i have another question about the EC40 (this is my second season with it).

    Sometimes after I take it apart to clean out the inside parts, put it back together carefully. When i start up it seems the basket in the pump doesnt fill up all the way, i.e. have bubbles. I've checked the hoses for any air cant find anything.. Sometimes after it runs for a while they'll mostly go away.

    Is there some trick or sequence i should be following to get it to run well quickly?

    Thanks,
    Tony
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    60

    Re: EC40

    Any thoughts?
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

  6. Back To Top    #6
    banditig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    464

    Re: EC40

    Try turning off the pump, unscew the pump basket lid just enough to let the air bleed out (carefull not to unscrew it all the way or water will gush out at you). Turn cover back tight and pump on.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

  7. Back To Top    #7
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,965

    Re: EC40

    What I typically do for pools with any of the finger-type filters - is use a submersible pump to circulate the water while slamming. Once the algae is dead, the EC's don't clog as fast as they do with live algae.

    It sure would be nice if they all came with filter bypass valves or multiports to vacuum to waste. Pool life would be so much easier.
    You can create a syphon by holding the vac plate up to your return (if it's not one of those aerator ones) and leave the other end of the hose out of your pool on the ground, and vacuum to waste, bypassing your filter and saving lots of DE. This only works on AG pools...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    60

    Re: EC40

    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    What I typically do for pools with any of the finger-type filters - is use a submersible pump to circulate the water while slamming. Once the algae is dead, the EC's don't clog as fast as they do with live algae.

    It sure would be nice if they all came with filter bypass valves or multiports to vacuum to waste. Pool life would be so much easier.
    You can create a syphon by holding the vac plate up to your return (if it's not one of those aerator ones) and leave the other end of the hose out of your pool on the ground, and vacuum to waste, bypassing your filter and saving lots of DE. This only works on AG pools...
    what submersible pump? Pic our model would be helpful.
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,999

    Re: EC40

    Harbor Freight sells some inexpensive ones.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    60

    Re: EC40

    Quote Originally Posted by banditig View Post
    Try turning off the pump, unscew the pump basket lid just enough to let the air bleed out (carefull not to unscrew it all the way or water will gush out at you). Turn cover back tight and pump on.
    Thank you, this helps out immensely! I also found out that my water may have been a little low. With rain it was up around the middle screw in skimmer, and zero air bubbles. Will shoot to keep it there...
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Troy IL
    Posts
    465

    Re: EC40

    here's a great inexpensive submersible one. you have to wait for them to ship to store, but it's a great pump at a great price.

    Superior Pump 1/4 HP Submersible Thermoplastic Utility Pump-91250 - The Home Depot

    17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    60

    Re: EC40

    Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    here's a great inexpensive submersible one. you have to wait for them to ship to store, but it's a great pump at a great price.

    Superior Pump 1/4 HP Submersible Thermoplastic Utility Pump-91250 - The Home Depot
    Old thread, but opening with algae again. do i just put that submersible in and what while slamming?
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •