Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to remove light niche?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How to remove light niche?

The gasket around the light niche is falling apart so I'd like to replace it before it becomes an issue. I drained water from my in-ground spa down below the light and removed the light from the niche and removed all of the screws for the niche. But the niche won't budge. The light wire feeds to the back of the niche and goes into a transition 'hole' (not sure what to call this) and probably on to the conduit. This 'hole' had small screw which I removed but the niche still won't budge. Any ideas? A photo is attached below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How to remove light niche?

There is a length of conduit attached to the back of the niche. It goes all the way to the deck box where the wire connection is. Unless you can access the back side of the niche, you can not remove it. Also, messing with it too much may break the seal between the conduit and the niche which will cause a leak. Also, that was not a set screw. It is a bonding wire (which appears to be missing) connection point.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for info. I cannot access the back of the niche. Any suggestions to correct the erroding gasket?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It is not clear to me why the gasket cannot simply be removed/scraped from the face of the niche. I know I am not understanding you correctly.....can you explain it a little better?

Sorry to change the subject, but that missing bonding wire is not good. I would address that before I put water back into the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The gasket is compressed between the liner and the niche can. If I cut it out, I'm not sure how I would replace it with a new one?

What should I connect the bonding wire connection point too?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

There should be a bond wire in there connected back to the deck box and ultimately to the bonding grid.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Does it matter that this is a jacuzzi shell, placed in ground? I dont think theres any rebar to bond too.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

OMG, is the blue thing the gasket? Let's try to solve that and then bond the light.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Since that is a metal niche, it could very well be bonded from the other side, if it was a gunite structure. That looks like a fiberglass wall that the niche is in. If this is a San Juan type shell, there is no "structure" to bond to. What would you bond to? Other than the equipment components? OK, the steel in the deck, but...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, the blue is the gasket.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'll bet its glued in. I might take a chisel and gently chisel under the gasket and see if the gasket separates from the shell. Gentle -- like moving the mother in laws china.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The conduit connected to the niche in the back won't let the niche move forward. Don't pry on it (too hard) or you will either crack the pool wall (shell), or the conduit, causing a leak.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.