Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool FC levels

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool FC levels

I just filled my new pool yesterday and today. I wanted to get some bleach in it right away so I added the recommended amount per pool math(1qt 4oz) to get me to FC of 4. How long should I wait to test ? After a 1 1/2 hrs i m still getting a reading of 0 using test strips.
    6000 gal
    AG
    Cartridge Filter
    15000 gal SWG 1500GPH pump
    Install Date TBD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool FC levels

A couple issues to be concerned with:
    - Did you add stabilizer? That's critical. You want at least 30 ppm CYA to go with that FC to protect the pool and swimmers, and well as protect the FC from the sun. The sun will eat that chlorine quickly with no stabilizer (CYA).
    - With pump running, you can test or add more chemicals about every 15 minutes
    - Test strip ... no good. You MUST have the proper test kit, and by that I mean TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Get that now while your pool is new and algae-free. Best simple investment you could possibly make for your pool.
    - Also watch the pH. You want it in the mid 7s.

Checkout the Pool School page (link below) for more info. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had to order all me chemicals online since I have no local pool store. They were suppose to be here yesterday now due to arrive tomorrow. So no CyA yet. I was trying to be proactive and just get some FC now and throw the cover on today and tmrw get the cya going. I also intend to get a test kit but just haven't decided which one yet. My pH is reading 7.2 and my Ta is at 70
    6000 gal
    AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Install Date TBD

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, gotcha. If your pool has any way to create aeration (i.e. small fountain) you might want to let it splash around to increase pH just a bit to about 7.5. Once your chemicals arrive, I would make adding the stabilizer a priority (30 ppm), and then continue to maintain FC around the 4-5 ppm mark. A TA of 70 is good. Give us and update or ask more questions once your stuff arrives. Have a good day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Received my Amazon order today ! Man it's like Christmas!
    Started my cya. Since this is my first go around balancing a pool I figured I should sneek up on my final number. Put enough cya In to get a little over half way. I'm using test strips right now but plan on ordering a test kit tmrw. Not sure what one yet. I did get a surprise with my CH strips where reading 500+ . I knew my water was hard but was not expecting that number

Current readings-
    FC - 3.5
    Cc- less than .5
    Ph- 6.8 and falling
    Ta - 70-80
    Cya- 20 and climbing
    Ch- 500+
    Temp 50
    6000 gal
    AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Install Date TBD

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I'd make a priority of getting the right test kit before overdoing the CYA additions- you also don't want to rely too much on the test strips for any of your results

Also keep up the aeration- fountains, splashing or direct the return jets up to increase the pH.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Congrats on the new pool! I've never seen tap water with CH over 500. We call test strips guess strips. Get a Taylor K-2006C or a TF100 from TFTestkits.net. I have been using a TF100 for 4 years now, love it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach