Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How or where do you house your pool pump and filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Talking How or where do you house your pool pump and filter?

Hi everyone!
    It's almost swimming season!
    I hope this is the right place to post this question:
    What do you house your pool pump and filter in?
    We did a complete remodel of our pool that was built in 1967. When we replaced the old pump and "silver bullet" filter, we tore down the old pump shed. We are looking for ideas of how to house the newer equipment. It's in the same 4' x 6' concrete pad. We are thinking of putting a resin storage shed over the equipment.
    Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.
    Thanks in advance!
    Liz & Dave
    Northern California Inground pool 20' by 40'
    Diamond Brite Quartz Medium Grey Plaster - Islands Sapphire Breeze Tile Border
    Jules Bright Cobalt Blue Blend Tile Bench fountain sheer waterfall descent
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How or where do you house your pool pump and filter?

OH so many ideas........some things I want you to think about.....room and lots of it..........make sure you have room to move all around the equipment, room to take the filter apart, room to replace parts as needed.

You could put up pretty lattice and have a good smelling vine grow on it. Put up "walls" and have someone paint a mural on them. Make friends with Pentrist and see what you find that strikes your fancy.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Just make sure you also have ventilation to keep that pump from running too hot.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

This is what I did for mine this year. Works great.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I hadn't thought of many of them! Off to Pinterest and Home Depot we go! Cheers, Liz & Dave
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

6. Back To Top    #6

So we built an addition on to our house, right where the filter/pump was. As long as we were moving it my wife said she wanted to hide it so it wasn't in the open for all to see.

So I built a cabana at the end of the pool, with a room for the mechanicals, a small bath, and a covered area to put a picnic table.

right side mechanicals, left side bath

Here is the pump room

Even has room to park my M500 out of the weather!

Pool... IG 16,500 gal fiberglass, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair Superflow 1 speed pump, Pentair control box, Installed 4/2015, Test strips! HA! ;-), SWG, hot tub (spa) freestanding on deck, fill it from my well, sometimes through my water softener. Oh, and a HydroNet radio control leaf skimmer boat! AND... A brand spankin new Dolphin M500 robot! ;-)

7. Back To Top    #7

Sweeeeeeet!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Sweeeeeeet!
    Thanks, not quite done with it yet... heres a pic from the other night.

Pool... IG 16,500 gal fiberglass, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair Superflow 1 speed pump, Pentair control box, Installed 4/2015, Test strips! HA! ;-), SWG, hot tub (spa) freestanding on deck, fill it from my well, sometimes through my water softener. Oh, and a HydroNet radio control leaf skimmer boat! AND... A brand spankin new Dolphin M500 robot! ;-)

9. Back To Top    #9

Our's is on a poured concrete pad hidden behind an outbuilding. I like the indoor idea better though!

Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Our's is on a poured concrete pad hidden behind an outbuilding. I like the indoor idea better though!

Holy camoly... look at all that stuff!

11. Back To Top    #11

That's some nice handiwork.

12. Back To Top    #12

Not understanding the backwash line, I've seen so many like this that roll up. I just ran a plumbing line underground out into the yard with a pop up on the end.. never have to even think about it...

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by A.O. View Post
    Not understanding the backwash line, I've seen so many like this that roll up. I just ran a plumbing line underground out into the yard with a pop up on the end.. never have to even think about it...
    All was done by a pool builder, but I don't think that would work for us with the location of the pumps.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Loving the cabana, do you have dimensions for the thing, Id like to try my hand at building one.

15. Back To Top    #15

Sure, its 20 wide as you are looking at it, and 14 feet deep. The two little rooms are 7 foot deep leaving about 13 feet (x14) for the picnic table.

So the concrete is14x20 with a "tail" on the left where the BBQ goes, with the option of pulling the BBQ under roof if it rains

16. Back To Top    #16

this is from a forum member, this is what im planning to do to mine... seems to cover enough for shade but enough to keep good ventilation aswell

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...pool-equipment

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks ap2002! I like that concept!

18. Back To Top    #18

I love the little cabana. Plus a bathroom. Huge party plus!
    That could be screened in and made into a gazebo of sorts.

My stuff is on the same slab that the old stuff was on when the pool was built. It's just newer stuff now.

I did have to build a little doghouse to cover the pump a few years ago, (Pentair Intelliflo) due to the controller filling with rainwater a few times, and freaking out till I dried everything out each time.
    That took a couple of rainstorms before I figured that one out...
    I'm Dave, the dog is Charlotte... 18k gal, IG pebble, Pentair clean & clear 150 sq.ft. cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, 400,000 BTU propane heater, Blue Essence salt cell, Hayward Blu concrete suction cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite pool & spa lights, Pentair PSL4 easytouch automation.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by SGPlayer View Post
    I love the little cabana. Plus a bathroom. Huge party plus!
    That could be screened in and made into a gazebo of sorts.

My stuff is on the same slab that the old stuff was on when the pool was built. It's just newer stuff now.

I did have to build a little doghouse to cover the pump a few years ago, (Pentair Intelliflo) due to the controller filling with rainwater a few times, and freaking out till I dried everything out each time.
    That took a couple of rainstorms before I figured that one out...
    And if bugs get to be a problem we will screen it in, that is why that extra post is there in the front.. to create a doorway if needed.