Door stop for outdoor fridge?

Feb 1, 2015
California
So, we're now installing the fixtures in our ODK, and discovered something we had not anticipated...

The fridge door swings to the right to open, towards the end of the island. If someone is not paying attention, the door could open up wide enough to thwack the outer stucco edge - which would dent the door of the fridge.

Putting some sort of door stop in the deck seems like an invitation to trip over it...but we don't want a dented door in the first weekend of use.

Has anyone else solved this issue? How did you handle it?

Quite a few fridge doors can be switched to the other side. See if your can. Look at the top of the door. If you see "stoppers" on then other end in the same place the hinge is then you can change it.

Kim

Kim, that won't help - then we'll have two doors into one another, and the handle of the fridge would bash up the front of the doors under the BBQ.

- - - Updated - - -

How about something rubbery attached to the spot that would deliver the dent?

That's what's most likely - a rubber-sheathed doorstop, drilled down into the deck. But it will also be a tripping hazard for me, since I never look where my feet are going. :D

Anything mounted on the stucco island would probably deliver a dent as well, even if wrapped in rubber....

- - - Updated - - -

How about something rubbery attached to the spot that would deliver the dent?

That's what's most likely - a rubber-sheathed doorstop, drilled down into the deck. But it will also be a tripping hazard for me, since I never look where my feet are going. :D

Anything mounted on the stucco island would probably deliver a dent as well, even if wrapped in rubber....

I bought some foam tubing at lowes - I think it was some kind of pipe insulation, cut it to the size of the fridge door and wedged it in between the door and the stone. It does the job and is not as ugly as it sounds! Lol

Hmm, good idea, thanks!

We did buy the rubber stop that drills into the deck...But I like the idea of the foam, too.

And for those thinking that dents are fine, or that we should cover up the SS fridge door...you're clearly not as OCD as my DH. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.