Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Door stop for outdoor fridge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Door stop for outdoor fridge?

So, we're now installing the fixtures in our ODK, and discovered something we had not anticipated...

The fridge door swings to the right to open, towards the end of the island. If someone is not paying attention, the door could open up wide enough to thwack the outer stucco edge - which would dent the door of the fridge.

Putting some sort of door stop in the deck seems like an invitation to trip over it...but we don't want a dented door in the first weekend of use.

Has anyone else solved this issue? How did you handle it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Door stop for outdoor fridge?

Quite a few fridge doors can be switched to the other side. See if your can. Look at the top of the door. If you see "stoppers" on then other end in the same place the hinge is then you can change it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

How about something rubbery attached to the spot that would deliver the dent?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Quite a few fridge doors can be switched to the other side. See if your can. Look at the top of the door. If you see "stoppers" on then other end in the same place the hinge is then you can change it.

Kim
    Kim, that won't help - then we'll have two doors into one another, and the handle of the fridge would bash up the front of the doors under the BBQ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That's what's most likely - a rubber-sheathed doorstop, drilled down into the deck. But it will also be a tripping hazard for me, since I never look where my feet are going.

Anything mounted on the stucco island would probably deliver a dent as well, even if wrapped in rubber....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That's what's most likely - a rubber-sheathed doorstop, drilled down into the deck. But it will also be a tripping hazard for me, since I never look where my feet are going.

Anything mounted on the stucco island would probably deliver a dent as well, even if wrapped in rubber....

5. Back To Top    #5

Slap something on the door itself to keep it from denting.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey, how about a Jimmy Buffett magnet?

The good news is that dented fridges still keep the beverages chilled!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Let's....NOT......be rude to Jimmy!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I bought some foam tubing at lowes - I think it was some kind of pipe insulation, cut it to the size of the fridge door and wedged it in between the door and the stone. It does the job and is not as ugly as it sounds! Lol
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Let's....NOT......be rude to Jimmy!
    10-4
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Readyforapool View Post
    I bought some foam tubing at lowes - I think it was some kind of pipe insulation, cut it to the size of the fridge door and wedged it in between the door and the stone. It does the job and is not as ugly as it sounds! Lol
    Hmm, good idea, thanks!

We did buy the rubber stop that drills into the deck...But I like the idea of the foam, too.

And for those thinking that dents are fine, or that we should cover up the SS fridge door...you're clearly not as OCD as my DH.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Could you attach a small chain inside the fridg from the door to the inside, top of the box to keep it from going too far
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Can you add a piece to the top area instead of the ground tripping section? Place a small plastic garbage can / recycling bin in that spot?

I am sure we could all get more creative with a picture or two.
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada