New Shaft Seal, Pentair Challenger. Still drips.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I installed a new shaft seal on my Penatair Challenger pump the other day. Today I just noticed that it still has a small dripping leak. I replaced the difuser seal at the same time but I did not replace the housing seal because the pool store didn't have one. So I was thinking that drip was being caused by a bad housing seal but the more I look at it, it looks like the leak comes from more of the center, nearer the shaft.

Wouldn't the leak be near the metal band if it were the housing seal? Any ideas on why this is still leaking? I will also note that the shaft had quite a bit of corrosion on it and I tried to clean it with steel wool the best I could. Could this be causing the leak?

Here is a video of the problem. Pentair Challenger - YouTube

Also the pump/motor seems to be slightly louder than it was before. Does it sound OK? Thanks for any help you can provide. I appreciate it.

I tried to clean it with a rag and solvent but it wouldn't come off. In retrospect, I in fact only cleaned the outside couple of inches and didn't get the shaft all of the way clean because I was being mindful that it could change the shape of the shaft and effect sealing. Thinking back I don't think I cleaned the part of the shaft at all where it butts up against the motor housing. I think that is where the seal sits and maybe that is why it is still leaking?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.