Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: moving along -- balancing my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

moving along -- balancing my pool

After the initial testing and fixing, here is test result. I am planning to bring the TA and CYA up. Also adding salt to bring it up to 3400. Do I need to add calcium as well? Accordingly to Pool Math Calculator, I need to add some calcium chloride. Wondering if my current level is OK.

pH = 7.5
    Free Cl = 3.5
    Combined Cl =.5

Calcium H = 325
    TA = 50
    CYA = 40
    Salt =3000
    Temp = 74
    18x34 freeform gunite (14k gal) play pool 3.6-5-4, stonescape, TN flagstone coping, AK boulder weeping waterfall 12x12; 450sf sundeck; Hayward 2-speed motor; Hayward DE 60Sf; Acquarite Tcel 15 (salt cell); 400,000 BTU propane heater; 1/2 HP booster with polaris 280; 1.5 HP blower for spa; savi solH (2); Savi mini melody (1)

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: moving along -- balancing my pool

Test your tap water. I'll betcha it's going to be high in TA and have some CH in it. In which case, just through normal evaporation and refills, TA & CH will come up by themselves quick enough.

If the water is greenish or you see patches of algae, you'll want to SLAM. And if so, leave the CYA alone until that's over. If the water looks good, then by all means raise the CYA and add the necessary salt and get things going.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: moving along -- balancing my pool

Really, the only I see is what you already mentioned - increasing CYA to about 70 and making sure the FC doesn't drop below 3. Maybe increase FC to 4-5. CH should be fine as I would expect your fill water to be hard and increase CH as you add water.

Richard's quick on the trigger today.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!