Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP ... Treating green pool water for 2 weeks, still can't see bottom of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP ... Treating green pool water for 2 weeks, still can't see bottom of pool

I have been treating green pool water for 2 weeks. I can only see about 1 foot into the water. Cannot see the bottom of the pool. I've been to my pool store 4 times in the last 2 weeks and they keep having me add more chemicals. I have followed all of their instructions and the pool has barely changed color. I have also scooped out the leaves, vaccumed and scrubbed the pool (not easy when you can see what you are doing) took the ladder out, pool filter sand was changed last year, pump working good.

Test results from pool store:
    04/11/16
    Alkalinity 57
    PH 6.7
    Hardness 253
    Stabilizer 13
    Chlorine .45

Added Alkalinity increaser, stabilizer, algaecide and LOTS of chlorine

04/14/16
    Alkalinity 63
    PH 7.2
    Hardness 205
    Stabilizer 12
    Chlorine 0

Added Alkalinity increaser, stabilizer and LOTS of chlorine

04/21/16
    Alkalinity 67
    PH 6.8
    Hardness 283
    Stabilizer 10
    Chlorine 7.0

Added Alkalinity increaser, stabilizer, algaecide and LOTS of chlorine

04/22/16

Still no change in color and Chlorine level was holding over 7.0. They had me do their "Swamp Treatment" ... 6 oz mustard eliminator, 1 qt Haviland Blue 2000, 1 pack of Clear Result clarifier, 4 lbs chlorine shock and 4 pounds non-chlorine shock. Followed by 2 more pounds chlorine shock in 12 hours.

Water did not change color.

Tested this morning (my AquaChek pool tester and strips)
    Chlorine 9.9
    PH 8.2
    Alkalinity 70

I have been using the same pool store for 3 years, so I think they are really doing their best to help me, but the water is not changing color, still a light green with no visibility past 12 inches. I have never had this much trouble getting pool clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a single mom trying to get pool ready for my autistic daughter to swim in. It's still too cold for her to swim, but soon it will be warm enough, so I'm desperate to get it ready for her. I'm starting to go into panic mode!
    21 foot above ground round; 10,000 gallon; Pentair Dynamo 340210 1.5 HP pump; Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP ... Treating green pool water for 2 weeks, still can't see bottom of pool

With everything they've had you buy and add-----and the results you are getting--------sounds like they're doing their best to help themselves, not YOU! Welcome to the wonderful world of being pool stored. If you will order one of our recommended test kits in Pool School to begin with and spend some time there learning how we recommend to clear your swamp, we'll be more than happy to help walk you through it. You're gonna need to read up on how to SLAM your pool which is not a one time miracle cure but a process to be maintained until you pass all 3 criteria for clearing your pool. See the chlorine/cya chart there for SLAM levels of plain old bleach. We don't recommend clarifiers, algaecide, floc, or any exotic animals like mustard eliminator. The word "shock" is not something we use around here either. The fact they recommend needing to "shock" a pool weekly even with no visible problems should tell you there is a problem with those methods. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: HELP ... Treating green pool water for 2 weeks, still can't see bottom of pool

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, I have lost faith with my pool store! I ordered the recommended test kit this morning, but it won't be in until next week. Do you have any suggestions of what I can do now while I am waiting for the kit?
    21 foot above ground round; 10,000 gallon; Pentair Dynamo 340210 1.5 HP pump; Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60

4. Back To Top    #4

I have posted a pic of my pool. Hope this helps. Thanks ..

Pool Pic 04-24-16.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Your swamp is no worse than the countless others we've helped fix. So that good news!. Dip out everything possible you can between now and then. Everything we suggest is based off SOLID proven test results with the kits we recommend. Just chill and spend some time familiairizing yourself with Pool School, our recommended levels, and how to clear a swamp. It won't get much worse between now and when you get your test kit and understand how to proceed. Get some Walmart 8.25% bleach on hand, about a dozen gals. to start with. Play with the PoolMath radio button at the top of the page on the left. Get ready to amaze yourself!
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Annette we got ya now! No more money sucking pool stores for you! Just lots of smiles and hugs!

Do as Woody says and start reading. It is a LOT of info so take it a bite at a time and let is all sink in. Once you get your test kit it will all start to make sense.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Your swamp is no worse than the countless others we've helped fix. So that good news!. Dip out everything possible you can between now and then. Everything we suggest is based off SOLID proven test results with the kits we recommend. Just chill and spend some time familiairizing yourself with Pool School, our recommended levels, and how to clear a swamp. It won't get much worse between now and when you get your test kit and understand how to proceed. Get some Walmart 8.25% bleach on hand, about a dozen gals. to start with. Play with the PoolMath radio button at the top of the page on the left. Get ready to amaze yourself!
    For clarity make sure the bleach isn't scented or the splashless kind. Just use plain bleach.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

8. Back To Top    #8

One other thing to suggest (because it has come up a lot lately) is this - please familiarize yourself with the operation and cleaning of your filter. This not only includes how to backwash and rinse your sand filter BUT ALSO how to take apart your filter and deep clean it, if needed. You have a green swamp that is going to generate A LOT of algae debris when you start killing all the algae in your pool. A clean and efficiently operating filter is going to be critical to that clearing process as all of the stuff that the chlorine destroys will get caught by your filter and it will need to be backwashed out. In some circumstances it actually becomes necessary to open up the filter and deep clean it. The process is described here - Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

I'm not saying you have to do this, I'm only warning you that it is a possibility and you should familiarize yourself with the process and be prepared to execute a deep clean if it becomes necessary.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

I can only imagine how much you have spent in the pool store and this is what you have to show for it. Great move with getting a reliable kit...it will be the best investment you've made to date. Enjoy reading up in Pool School until your kit arrives. Welcome!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Just received confirmation that kit has been shipped. Should be here by the end of the week. Is there anything you suggest I do until it arrives? I am brushing pool daily and trying to keep FC level up.

The test strips I am using show the following:
    Hardness 400
    FC 10
    pH 7.2
    Alkalinity between 40 - 80
    CYA between 20-30

I know the test strips are not accurate, but just keeping an eye on it until the kit comes in.

All help and encouragement is greatly appreciated!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Just keep adding some bleach daily until your kit arrives.

What do you know about your filter?
    Have you ever Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter?
    That is something you could do while waiting and might help the later stages of the SLAM.
    Once you have started the SLAM process and killed all the algae, then you need your filter working correctly to remove all the dead stuff.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Have you dipped out all the solids you can first?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Just keep adding some bleach daily until your kit arrives.

What do you know about your filter?
    Have you ever Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter?
    That is something you could do while waiting and might help the later stages of the SLAM.
    Once you have started the SLAM process and killed all the algae, then you need your filter working correctly to remove all the dead stuff.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did watched the video this weekend, but the top was already off the filter. I just need to watch another video about how to actually get the top of the filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Have you dipped out all the solids you can first?
    I did vacuum and I have run my Dolphin Active 10 pool cleaner several times. Still getting a little bit of debris, but since I can't see the bottom of the pool, it's hard to know what is left. Since the filter is running 24/7 most of the debris should gather in the middle.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

You are going to love this once your test kit arrives, it works I promise.. Once you get your test kit, get some numbers and post them up... We will get you going
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

16. Back To Top    #16

Okay, so I have been adding bleach for 4 days and my pool looks much better. Instead of only being able to see about 6 inches into the pool I am happy to report I can now see about 20 inches below the pool surface! Kit should be here tomorrow (keeping my fingers crossed) so I will have an accurate reading and I will be ready to SLAM! So glad I found this website ... will definitely make a contribution once I get to a crystal clear pool

17. Back To Top    #17

We are happy you found us too!!
    Glad things are looking better already
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Well, I received my kit and tested the pool water just now. Just FYI .... we had a heavy downpour this morning, so I am not sure how this skews the test results:

FC 25
    CC 2
    CH 500
    TA 100
    CYA 70
    PH 7.2

I hope I did this right

The pool water is looking soo much better and is now a cloudy looking blue. All help is appreciated!! I have included the pic from last week and the pic from today.

Thanks

Annette
    Last edited by jblizzle; 04-30-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Changed tags from URL -> IMG

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Annettebjrd View Post
    Well, I received my kit and tested the pool water just now. Just FYI .... we had a heavy downpour this morning, so I am not sure how this skews the test results:

FC 25
    CC 2
    CH 500
    TA 100
    CYA 70
    PH 7.2

I hope I did this right

The pool water is looking soo much better and is now a cloudy looking blue. All help is appreciated!! I have included the pic from last week and the pic from today.

Thanks

Annette
    Excellent!

You might be at the point where you'd consider Adding DE to a Sand Filter It will filter a lot smaller stuff out than just plain sand. It would be like setting window screen on top of chicken wire, just on a microscopic scale. You won't need much, so see if you can't
    beg a bowlful from a neighbor with a DE filter. If you buy a bag, you'll end up with a lifetime supply. Only add it when you're going to be around to watch the pressure gauge, because it will load up fast. Then you just backwash and add another cup of DE.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

20. Back To Top    #20

Note I changed the tags you had around your pictures from URL to IMG so they would automatically show up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast