Will air leak causing water level in DE filter to drop affect filtering?

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
Hi everyone!

I believe my Hayward Vari-Flow multiport valve ( Model number SP715XXR50) is the source of a leak which causes water to drain out of my DE filter and pump when it turns off. This just started today after I removed and completely cleaned my DE filter. After I turn off the pump you can air and a gurgling sound coming from the multiport valve and if i slightly depress the handle it gets worse.

I could try taking off the filter housing top and putting it back on to make sure there is no leak in filter but it sure sounds like it is coming from multiport valve.

I was aware not to rotate the valve while pump was running, but i've been reading here that i was always supposed to rotate handle in the same direction which i'm not sure that i have done, i think i rotate whichever way was the quickest to get to the setting i needed. I was unaware of that, and it's not written on the valve.

If i go ahead and add DE back into the filter, will it all fall off the next time the pump stops and water leaks out of filter. If so will it reapply itself to the grids next time it starts up, or will it just be all messed up internally?

Pool is not really open yet, i can leave it in recirculate mode until parts for valve arrive, its covered unless being used so the filter gets minimal use.

Thanks for you advice/thoughts!

Theoretically, all the DE is supposed to fall off the grids and then get mixed up and recoat each time. The theory being that any heavy stuff like sand will settle to the bottom. In reality, most of it cakes up on the grids.

The only thing you really need to do until a proper repair is made is to bleed out any air trapped inside once the pump is primed and running well. Otherwise the upper halves of your grids might be above the water line and not filtering.

Jump ahead to 2:50 on this sales video and see how it's supposed to work. Fiber_Clear_Demonstration - YouTube

Would operating the filter with air in it, i.e. top half out of water lead to any damage you can think off? I won't be here during normal beginning or run time, however I could adjust that if damage could occur.

So theoretically, i wouldn't matter that I dump my DE in the skimmer as fast as i can. I could just as well place it in the bottom of my filter prior to closing it all up as well.

Thanks Richard!

Would operating the filter with air in it, i.e. top half out of water lead to any damage you can think off? I won't be here during normal beginning or run time, however I could adjust that if damage could occur.

So theoretically, i wouldn't matter that I dump my DE in the skimmer as fast as i can. I could just as well place it in the bottom of my filter prior to closing it all up as well.

Thanks Richard!
Except it clumps and could clog up the plumbing if you go too fast. And it makes a mess no matter how calm a day it is. I don't want a bunch of DE powder stuck to the greasy Oring between the two filter halves. I just add a scoop at a time to the skimmer and wait until it's disappeared before I add the next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.