Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: should I open

1. Back To Top    #1

should I open

I just popped the corners of the pool cover and for the first time in forever my pool is clean and clear. I used TFPC method last year. Woohoo! But....my water temp is only 49 and I wonder if I'll get any kind of accurate readings on the chemicals with temps that low, maybe I should wait and open in a few weeks. Is there a way to get accurate chemical readings in water that cold?
    26700 gal IG vinyl lined pool. Clean and Clear 100 sq ft cartridge system, 1 hp Pentair SuperFlo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: should I open

If concerned about the temp of water when testing... Scoop it into a bottle and let it sit to room temperature then test

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

3. Back To Top    #3

If there's no more danger of freezing, open up now while the water is too cold to grow algae.

The only test that is affected badly by cold water is the CYA test. Just set a sample jar in a sunny windowsill to warm up and test that one later. The rest you can do immediately. Be sure to let the water circulate a while before you grab a sample.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If there's no more danger of freezing, open up now while the water is too cold to grow algae.

The only test that is affected badly by cold water is the CYA test. Just set a sample jar in a sunny windowsill to warm up and test that one later. The rest you can do immediately. Be sure to let the water circulate a while before you grab a sample.

As Richard points out, without circulation you are not going ot get usable test readings. It is very possible that you have a layer of rain water sitting on top of the pool water from closing that is not mixed.

If it's clear now and there is no posibility of freeze, open her up. With cold water your chlorine demand will be minimal and you can probably get away with short pump run times until the water stars warming up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. My numbers right now are FC 1, CC 0, PH 7.0, TA 60, CYA 50. I'll pull the cover off this afternoon and get it running. So very nice to open a clean and clear pool!
    26700 gal IG vinyl lined pool. Clean and Clear 100 sq ft cartridge system, 1 hp Pentair SuperFlo pump