Replacement Model

dan4jc

Apr 24, 2013
I just started to open my pool and when I went to turn on my pump, I got a hum, and then nothing. It sounded for a second like the impeller was trying to move, but it never did. the housing was hot to the touch after only a few seconds. The pump was installed in 2008, so while I continue to troubleshoot, I wanted to see how much a replacement pump would be. I'd like to be able to just pop in a new motor to the existing trap without having to run new plumbing, but I can if needed. Existing pump info is in my signature. I know Sta-Rite has since been purchased by Pentair, and getting in touch with anyone on Sunday is unlikely. Any info anyone can provide regarding a replacement and other sizing options would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That symptom is often the result of a failed start capacitor. A fairly inexpensive and easy item to replace.

That said, I have never done it so someone with more experience than I will hopefully chime in and point you in the right direction.

I had my start capacitor fail on me and showed similar symptoms. I took the capacitor out, looked up the part number online, found a replacement for only a couple of dollars and the pump worked fine after I put it in. I would certainly give that a try before buying a new pump. Take your pump apart and look for a capacitor about the size and shape of a roll of half dollars, it will likely be connected with terminals and come out easily. Just make sure to get the polarity right when you put the new one in, those things will pop if plugged in backwards.

There are other things it might be as well, and be ware handling a capacitor, they can knock you down if you don't treat them with respect. Capacitors can hold a substantial electrical charge, depending on the type they an hold it for a considerable amount of time. Pool Plaza has some good information on replacement pump parts, I have bought from them in the past and they seem fairly good, but don't have the lowest prices.

Ok, it might not be polarized so you may be able to ignore my comment on that. I know because I just got in from opening my pool and lo and behold my pump wouldn't start. So I am getting a replacement cap now and hopefully that is the issue and I can get the pump going in a couple of days. So, turns out it wasn't the capacitor. While looking for a new one I was reminded that if it is the capacitor you can manually start the motor going by giving it a quick turn. As I went to do that I realized that it was hard to turn, so I turned it a few times to loosen it up, closed it up and the motor started this time. So there is some troubleshooting to consider if you know how to do that. My face is a bit red, but at least it is running now. Mostly at least.

Isaac is correct, use a screwdriver to short out the old capacitor to make sure the charge is gone. I have learned that first hand, although luckily with much smaller capacitors.

Thanks for all of the quick replies. I checked out the manual, and it walked through the process of replacing the impeller, etc, so I went through that to see what I could see internally. Turns out I must've had a leak going on for a while, because there is a lot of corrosion and rust and the shaft is completely locked up and I cannot get it to move. At this point, I think I'd be better served with purchasing a new pump motor. I'll be calling Pentair tomorrow to see if they have other models that will fit the same footprint to save me from re-running the plumbing. I think I read on here elsewhere that is the best way to go, correct?

Ok, after talking to Pentair, I can replace the existing motor (Part # A100ELL) and shaft seal for around $200. They said if I wanted to go with a 2-speed motor, I should replace the entire unit (which would include rerouting some plumbing). They said the Whisper Flow 011486 is what I would need, which costs around $650. Would it be worth the extra $450 to get a 2-speed motor?

If I would decide to go that route, since I'm re-routing plumbing anyway, I'm assuming I could go with just about any 2-speed pump. Does anyone have any experience with this Whisper flow model, or have any other recommendations for a good 2-speed pump? I would plan on using my existing timer and installing an SPDT switch.

I have a small electrical pump that I'm using now to keep water circulating, along with running the Dolphin, so I do have some circulation going for now until I get a new pump installed. I'd rather take an extra day or two and make sure I'm making the best decision since this will (hopefully) last quite a few years.

Thanks!

Ok, more info. I took a closer look at the tag on my pump, and it is an AO Smith motor, model #C48K2PA105. The replacement motor is USQ1102, which is on Amazon for $150. Amazon.com : Century USQ1102 1 HP, 3450 RPM, 1.25 Service Factor, 48Y Frame, Capacitor Start/Capacitor Run, ODP Enclosure, Square Flange Pool Motor : Electric Fan Motors : Patio, Lawn Garden

I've also found this 2-speed replacement: A.O. Smith Pool Motor Square Flange 3/4 HP 230V Full Rate Dual Speed w/ Digital Controller - B2980T - INYOPools.com
for $332. That looks like a good price, and it comes with a built-in switch/timer, but I'm not sure if the 1/6 hp will be enough to run my SWG, though. What's the best way to determine that?

Also, looking at the shaft seal; do I need something different since I have a salt water pool? I found this listed specifically for salt: U.S. Seal Manufacturing Pump Seal 200, Heavy Duty PS3867 (Saltwater Pools) - PS-3867 - INYOPools.com
Or is this fine? Amazon.com : Pentair, Purex, Hydrotech (Pinnacle) Pump (PS-200 Shaft Seal) Same as: (354545) This is an AMERICAN Manufactured Replacement Seal! : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

I appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm trying to include as many part #s as possible in case anyone is searching in the future. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.