Motor is sparking when turned on.

Oct 11, 2007
spartanburg, sc
Above ground 12,500 gallon pool.
Hayward Power-flo LX Pump, had maybe 10 years.

This season, when I turn on, a few sparks fall out from where the ground wire is attached (I think), the motor and pump turn on anyway and work fine. I did this a couple of times. This morning, I video taped it because I was going to ask a local small motor repair shop about it. Only this morning I turned it on, it sparked, then the motor stopped and it will not turn on. I think I probably blew it.

Here' the quick youtube video:
Hayward Pool Pump Sparks - YouTube

Anyone have any suggestions? Probably just buy the pump unit again, I think it's around $250

yup it's dead.

If it is any consolation based on the sound there may not have been much you could have done might have just been the brushes but based on the age I would guess the internal parts were worn and I don't think just doing the brushes would have kept it going for long. You could just replace the motor but I think a whole new pump might be a good idea again just because of age. since you have to replace might want to think about a 2 speed they can usually pay for themselves in 2 - 3 years

The sparks may have come from a loose connection at the back of the motor. If that is the case, disconnect the power and clean and tighten them. Once that is done look for a GFCI receptacle or breaker that controls the circuit and reset it. It is most likely that you tripped a circuit breaker or GFCI when it was sparking.

Edit,... I just watched the video. That motor may be shot or it could be loose connections, Hard to say. Do you want the list of code violations I saw in that video?

Pull the pump apart and either have the motor rebuilt or replaced. You won't even have to disturb the plumbing. It looks like you just unplug it and undo 4 bolts and the pump/plate/impeller all comes off. When my motor died I just took that whole mess to the pool store and let them deal with the impeller bolt and the seal. I had it back in a couple hours, although it was the off-season.

If the pump will be down for more than a day, you should take your FC level up to shock level and brush well to get it all mixed so you don't develop algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.