Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar - Distance from pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar - Distance from pool

Hi, I'm just about to take down my little 10,000 litre Intex above ground pool. Next summer, I'm getting a 6mt x 2.5mtr inground pool which is going to be sunk in about half way. We're trying to decide whether to leave it in the same place as now which would mean cheaper fencing. It is in the sun most of the day in summer but in the spring and autumn, it won't get much sun as there are trees that will shade it. The shade is fine in the summer - we can get up to 40deg C days, so the shade is very welcome.

I want to extend my swimming season for a few months either side of our summer, which means, I'll be able to start swimming in September and close up in May. My question is, if we install a solar heating system, how far away can it be to be effective? If I leave the pool where it is, then the distance to our sheds and garage roof would be about 15 to 20 metres (depending on the route through the garden. Is this too far way from the pool to be effective? I'm thinking of the heat loss although I would probably bury the pipes in the ground.
    2014 to 2015m pool 10000 litre (2531 Gallons) Bestway Above Ground Pool 412cmx201cmx122cm (162"x72"x48"), 1000GPH Sand Filter Pump System
    2016 New Pool - 3mtrx5.6mtr 20,000 litre Oval Above Ground, 21" Ongar Sand filter with 550 watt pump. (being sunk 60cm inground)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar - Distance from pool

The shorter the better is a simple answer, you can also insulate the plumbing runs with something like expanding urethane foam which will help.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

At that distance the heat loss would be negligible. Solar systems don't have high heat so they lose less.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine leaves the pump pad, travels 100ft to the house and 35 ft up then 100 ft to pad and 15 to the pool. Works great
    Southern New Hampshire, 18x36 single roman end pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you, that makes it easier to leave it where it is - which makes it better for the whole look of the garden.
    2014 to 2015m pool 10000 litre (2531 Gallons) Bestway Above Ground Pool 412cmx201cmx122cm (162"x72"x48"), 1000GPH Sand Filter Pump System
    2016 New Pool - 3mtrx5.6mtr 20,000 litre Oval Above Ground, 21" Ongar Sand filter with 550 watt pump. (being sunk 60cm inground)