Is a seperation tank my only option for containing used DE?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

Got a DE filter. Is a separation tank my only option for containing the used DE that comes out every time you clean the filter?

With a separation tank costing around $350, I'm left questioning if I should buy that, or just buy a sand filter instead (since the DE filter is at least 5 years old, maybe more). The mess the DE has left over the years makes me realize I need some kind of solution though.

Are there any homegrown solutions that work? Like some kind of netting to catch it when you clean?

Thanks!

One option is to use a DE replacement like Fiber Clear (there is another one on the market too, don't remember the name). I'm trying it this year. It is more expensive than DE, but since it is made from cellulose it is biodegradeable.

Fiber Clear claims to filter better than DE. Some folks say it clogs up too quickly (the Fiber Clear bag says this might happen at first due to clearing more stuff from the water, but then will return to DE like backwash intervals). I have been running it since I opened this year, no complaints so far. I do like not worrying (as much) about handling the stuff. Haven't had to backwash yet, but it definitely cleared up the fine silt that I get in my pool through the winter cover.

I purchased a Hayward seperation tank but have not installed it yet. I got it from Pool and Spa Supply Store, I can tell you it was less than 350. They do not list it on their website so you would need to contact them for availablilty and price. I live in So Cal where we are in a drought, which was my other reason for getting it, trying to save as much water as I can.

Leslies (pool chain in North East) sells them for $380. Ebay has it at the cheapest for $309 + shipping. So at that point it's almost the cost of a new filter.

I'll give the company you suggested a call though.

You could plumb the discharge to your sewer. I understand that some communities do not allow DE discharge into sewers, so you have to check your local regulations.

I have found my separation tank works very well. It does save a good deal of water and keeps the spent DE off the lawn.

The cost is a bit of a rip-off. It is basically just a plastic tank with a nylon bag. I guess they don't sell enough for anyone else to enter the market. As far as I was able to finds, the Hayward tank is the only one on the market.

I really like my DE filter. Not sure a sand filter would keep the water as clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.