Preventing Algae before opening of pool

Apr 12, 2015
IL
Hello all. I was going to open my pool yesterday. I realized that my pump is bad (something I was planning for). As a result, I am waiting to get a replacement motor and the pool has not opened yet.

The pool is covered with a solid automatic cover. The weather so far has been touching 70 each day. I am concerned that waiting much longer to open the pool is going to cause algae. Is there anything I should to help prevent algae while I wait for a new pump?

Perhaps pull the cover back just enough so that you could post a set of test results. This way you know what to expect. All numbers are important, but we're really curious to see how your FC and CYA held-up over the winter. Depending upon your levels it might be worth it try to add just a little blech and manually sweep/stir it around. But we'd have to see where you are at the moment. Of course if you had to SLAM, and there's a high probability you may have to, there's not much you can do until you get the pump working again.

Yep, if there is still enough FC you will probably be alright. If not add some bleach and circulate the water with a pool brush, broom, canoe paddle, whatever is handy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.