Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preventing Algae before opening of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Preventing Algae before opening of pool

Hello all. I was going to open my pool yesterday. I realized that my pump is bad (something I was planning for). As a result, I am waiting to get a replacement motor and the pool has not opened yet.

The pool is covered with a solid automatic cover. The weather so far has been touching 70 each day. I am concerned that waiting much longer to open the pool is going to cause algae. Is there anything I should to help prevent algae while I wait for a new pump?
    Pete
    Vinyl IG, 32,000 gallons, CircuPool 60,000g SWG, Hayward heater, Pentair TA-60/60D Sand Filter , Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preventing Algae before opening of pool

Perhaps pull the cover back just enough so that you could post a set of test results. This way you know what to expect. All numbers are important, but we're really curious to see how your FC and CYA held-up over the winter. Depending upon your levels it might be worth it try to add just a little blech and manually sweep/stir it around. But we'd have to see where you are at the moment. Of course if you had to SLAM, and there's a high probability you may have to, there's not much you can do until you get the pump working again.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is suggested that you circulate the water before testing. Do you have a robot? If not, since you have an auto-cover, you must have a submersible pump. You could throw that in there to circulate too.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, if there is still enough FC you will probably be alright. If not add some bleach and circulate the water with a pool brush, broom, canoe paddle, whatever is handy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach