Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

San Diego, Ca.

Pump Motor?

I have a Hayward 3/4hp motor that is 13 years old. I'm sure I'll need a new one soon. It seems to be the right size for 30,000 gal. The price between 3/4hp and 1.5hp is negligible. Should I get a larger pump? Will my cartridge filter be a consideration? (My in and out pipes are 1.5").
    30,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Hayward Pheonix 4x Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Hayward 3/4hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Pump Motor?

If you get good return flow, skimming action and filtration with your current pump, no sense going any larger as it will just cost you more to run it without gaining anything. You might consider a two-speed pump or variable speed for energy savings and some flexibility. Since you have a suction side cleaner, does it function well with your current pump? If you went with a two-speed or variable speed, the cleaner might only function well at high speed.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons