Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Screwed up a return!

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Screwed up a return!

OK, trying to add a "water feature" to our pool, I snapped off one of the return outlets. I had taken off the threaded nozzle cover, and putting it back on it broke apart.

Pool was built in 1991, and the heat here in South Carolina I'm sure takes a tool on this PVC (if it's PVC). Name on front of the threaded part says "Pac-Fab, Inc." It looks to be about 1 1/2" diameter. There is a remaining portion of it still glued into the return piping, maybe 1/2".

Questions:

Can I find a replacement part for this? I googled Pac-Fab and found only replacement parts for filters, etc.

Do I need to drain the pool below the return to remove the remainder of the outlet part? Can I repair it "under water?"

Once I get the remainder out, is there a newer return type that I can install? Maybe one that threads male into female, versus female onto male?

I've added a picture of the return in case that helps...

thanks!

ed marshall
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Screwed up a return!

Is the part remaining in the pool wall threaded? Did you look at these? Directional Insider Swimming Pool Outlet - White - Pentair 542002 | Ace Pools
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Does one of these look like it? Wall, Return and Eyeball Fittings.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The first one looks like it. It's definitely a slip fitting. Glued in. Some portions of it are still in the return pipe
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok what's the best way to remove the pieces of the nozzle that are glued in the return pipe? Drain the water below the pipe and use my dremel? Is there a special solvent for this?

6. Back To Top    #6

I've searched all these forums, and the return repairs I've found deal with threaded nozzles. My nozzle was glued in back in 1991. The only thing I can think to do is drain the water to just below the pipe and use my dremel to slowly file away the pieces remaining that are glued in. Yes/no?