Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Glass in above ground pool, help!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Glass in above ground pool, help!!!

My son jumped in the pool wearing a diving mask and hit face first. The glass exploded and cut his face a little. Not his eyes, thank god! But we have safety glass (little chunks) on the bottom. We have a Haywood diver Dan vacuum but I'm scared it will drag the glass and tear the liner. I'm also scared to send the hubby in barefoot to carefully slide his feet and find them and dive down to pick them up. Any other ideas besides draining 12,000 gallons of water completely out and trying to dry sweep it out??? Ugh. And we are almost finished with our deck!

22' x 52" Intex UltraFrame ABG, 10,500 gallons
    using TF-100 test kit
    Krystal Klear 633T Filter Type B pump - 2,500 GPH
    Intex wall-mount surface skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Glass in above ground pool, help!!!

If it was my problem, I'd use googles and swim the bottom using just the hose to the cleaner to suck up the glass. I'd also use a filter at the pump basket to keep the glass out of the filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ultra frame liners are tougher than the regular vinyl pool liner. DaneCE has the right idea. If you are nervous about stepping on the glass get some water shoes and wear those until you are sure you have vacuumed up all the pieces. If you have a manual pool vacuum you can use it as well, just pick up and place the vacuum head over the glass instead of doing the push/pull with the vacuum. Use a knee high hose on your skimmer basket to catch the glass. If you can pull the basket out of the skimmer, put a knee high hose inside the basket and stretch the knee high over the top and down the sides, so that the knee high is lining the skimmer basket. The knee high will trap the glass. Vacuum up the glass and throw away the knee high when you are finished.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd take the vac off n use the hose only. That way you're not pushing the glass across the bottom.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice guys. We actually haven't done anything yet. We still have the old over-the-wall Intex skimmer, so to vacuum it up, there's no filter between the hose the and outlet from the pool, going straight into the pump! I ordered a Hayward leaf canister from Amazon that should fit in between the vacuum hose sections to filter the glass out before it gets to the pump. And great idea to just use the hose instead of the vacuum head, why didn't I think of that?? The leaf canister should be here tomorrow and then I'm making my hubby brave the cold water to get it clean up. The kids don't mind the cold, they've been swimming for 2 weeks already, but I don't trust them to be careful enough with the glass.

Thanks for the input. And thanks to Trouble Free Pool my water is so crystal clear you can actually see the glass on the bottom!! I'll try to take pics before we get it out....
    using TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, success!!! This what I got out of the leaf canister!! Best $60 I ever spent!! . No way to know if there's a stray piece or not since it was invisible. But I'm going to run my diver Dan with the canister on for a few hours and cross my fingers!!

using TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Works like a charm!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Outstanding!!
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

9. Back To Top    #9

I am still a little shocked that that mask exploded like that.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I am still a little shocked that that mask exploded like that.

A bit concerning, as they must have gone face first.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Nice job! I am SO thankful he did not get hurt. I bet you were SO scared! NO more masks for him! Goggle and going in backwards only!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

yep, no more masks unless you are IN the pool. And I'm going to check the packaging on any more that I buy and make sure they are plastic! I assumed he did a faceplant and that's why it exploded but nope, all 6-7 people who watched him jump in said he grabbed it off the deck, put it on, jumped in feet first and went straight under, and when he came up it was broken!! The only thing I can think of is that it was a few years old, and it was in direct sunlight and had not gotten wet yet, and the water was COLD, so I'm guessing the temperature change + maybe a weak spot = broken

I ran my Diver Dan for several hours Friday evening and it picked up about 6-8 tiny pieces. I'm glad we manually used the hose to get most of it out though. I have a feeling just using the vacuum would've dragged the bigger pieces right across the liner.

So the kids swam yesterday after I ran the vacuum for about 8 hours and no glass was picked up. So far so good!!
    using TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you for the update about him jumping in feet first...........I bet you are right---------hot glass into cold water=broken

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tamaralemus View Post
    yep, no more masks unless you are IN the pool. And I'm going to check the packaging on any more that I buy and make sure they are plastic! I assumed he did a faceplant and that's why it exploded but nope, all 6-7 people who watched him jump in said he grabbed it off the deck, put it on, jumped in feet first and went straight under, and when he came up it was broken!! The only thing I can think of is that it was a few years old, and it was in direct sunlight and had not gotten wet yet, and the water was COLD, so I'm guessing the temperature change + maybe a weak spot = broken

I ran my Diver Dan for several hours Friday evening and it picked up about 6-8 tiny pieces. I'm glad we manually used the hose to get most of it out though. I have a feeling just using the vacuum would've dragged the bigger pieces right across the liner.

So the kids swam yesterday after I ran the vacuum for about 8 hours and no glass was picked up. So far so good!!

I apologize for assuming! I have never thought of that happening. Glad he didn't get hurt.

15. Back To Top    #15

Lol. I wrote that he hit face first because I couldn't fathom any other reason it would explode!! I assumed too. Lol

using TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tamaralemus View Post
    Lol. I wrote that he hit face first because I couldn't fathom any other reason it would explode!! I assumed too. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that's normal for the mothers of boys, isn't it? Lol.