New liner starting over need help with proper chemicals

Apr 23, 2016
Langhorne,pa
I just had new liner installed was told that old one had signs of too much chlorine, so I'm here to learn what to do . I just filled pool with water (public water not well water) and test results are , CL 0,PH 7.5,TA 70,CH 0,CYA 0, so was wondering what to start with I would like to use bleach instead of tablets which I think was my problem of over chlorinating , any help would be appreciated thank you

How old was the old liner and was it originally yours or did you buy house with a pool already installed? Added properly ---slowly in front of a return with pump running should cause no liner issues. The FC level could have been held too high for the CYA level. LOW PH can causes more issues with a liner over time. Take CYA to 30 assuming no SWG and dose FC to 5 per Pool School and see how it acts. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. :wave: Woody has you covered. Those numbers are really pretty good but you need to get the chlorine and CYA in their right away.

And, yes, liquid chlorine (bleach), is the finest chlorine you can use so we encourage everyone to use it. Asl lot's of questions and we'll all help keep your pool crystal clear

How old was the old liner and was it originally yours or did you buy house with a pool already installed? Added properly ---slowly in front of a return with pump running should cause no liner issues. The FC level could have been held too high for the CYA level. LOW PH can causes more issues with a liner over time. Take CYA to 30 assuming no SWG and dose FC to 5 per Pool School and see how it acts. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you , we had the pool installed in 2005 liner was 10 years old what do you recommend to get the cya level up and the chlorine I know that trichlor has cya in it how should I proceed thank you for your help

Thank you , we had the pool installed in 2005 liner was 10 years old what do you recommend to get the cya level up and the chlorine I know that trichlor has cya in it how should I proceed thank you for your help
Trichlor pucks take a while to dissolve, and they're very acidic. If you look at Poolmath, down at the bottom, you can use Effects of Adding Chemicals to see just what an 8 oz puck will do to your water chemistry. Do you really want to be juggling FC, CYA, pH, and ultimately TA simultaneously? Better to use separate CYA and bleach.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals tells you what does what and how to add it.
Pool School - PoolMath will tell you how top use poolmath to figure out how much to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a question about combined chlorine pool is clear no problems just no combined chlorine do I need it if so how do I raise it my readings are
Fc 5
ta 100
ph 7.8
cya 40
Cc o
thank you for the help

Have you looked at POOL SCHOOL yet? Button at the top right of your screen. I think you need to read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, then click on table of contents.

You WANT the CC to be zero.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.