Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New liner starting over need help with proper chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

New liner starting over need help with proper chemicals

I just had new liner installed was told that old one had signs of too much chlorine, so I'm here to learn what to do . I just filled pool with water (public water not well water) and test results are , CL 0,PH 7.5,TA 70,CH 0,CYA 0, so was wondering what to start with I would like to use bleach instead of tablets which I think was my problem of over chlorinating , any help would be appreciated thank you
    13,500 ,AG,jacuzzi s15LR9-6 pump,jacuzzi AV 60 DE filter,installed 2005,TF 100 test kit,Pool rover cleaning robot , new liner 4/2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New liner starting over need help with proper chemicals

How old was the old liner and was it originally yours or did you buy house with a pool already installed? Added properly ---slowly in front of a return with pump running should cause no liner issues. The FC level could have been held too high for the CYA level. LOW PH can causes more issues with a liner over time. Take CYA to 30 assuming no SWG and dose FC to 5 per Pool School and see how it acts. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Woody has you covered. Those numbers are really pretty good but you need to get the chlorine and CYA in their right away.

And, yes, liquid chlorine (bleach), is the finest chlorine you can use so we encourage everyone to use it. Asl lot's of questions and we'll all help keep your pool crystal clear
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    How old was the old liner and was it originally yours or did you buy house with a pool already installed? Added properly ---slowly in front of a return with pump running should cause no liner issues. The FC level could have been held too high for the CYA level. LOW PH can causes more issues with a liner over time. Take CYA to 30 assuming no SWG and dose FC to 5 per Pool School and see how it acts. Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you , we had the pool installed in 2005 liner was 10 years old what do you recommend to get the cya level up and the chlorine I know that trichlor has cya in it how should I proceed thank you for your help
    13,500 ,AG,jacuzzi s15LR9-6 pump,jacuzzi AV 60 DE filter,installed 2005,TF 100 test kit,Pool rover cleaning robot , new liner 4/2016

5. Back To Top    #5

Pretty hard to beat cya "conditioner" and plain old bleach, 8.25% from Walmart.

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Pretty hard to beat cya "conditioner" and plain old bleach, 8.25% from Walmart.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Thank you will do I'll get back with readings

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Painterjohn View Post
    Thank you , we had the pool installed in 2005 liner was 10 years old what do you recommend to get the cya level up and the chlorine I know that trichlor has cya in it how should I proceed thank you for your help
    Trichlor pucks take a while to dissolve, and they're very acidic. If you look at Poolmath, down at the bottom, you can use Effects of Adding Chemicals to see just what an 8 oz puck will do to your water chemistry. Do you really want to be juggling FC, CYA, pH, and ultimately TA simultaneously? Better to use separate CYA and bleach.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals tells you what does what and how to add it.
    Pool School - PoolMath will tell you how top use poolmath to figure out how much to add.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a question about combined chlorine pool is clear no problems just no combined chlorine do I need it if so how do I raise it my readings are
    Fc 5
    ta 100
    ph 7.8
    cya 40
    Cc o
    thank you for the help

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a question about combined chlorine pool is clear no problems just no combined chlorine do I need it if so how do I raise it my readings are
    Fc 5
    ta 100
    ph 7.8
    cya 40
    Cc o
    thank you for the help
    Combined Chlorine is the bad stuff. Having no CC is a good thing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you then I'm on the right track

11. Back To Top    #11

Fc 5
    ta 100
    ph 7.8
    cya 40
    Cc o
    thank you for the help
    Have you looked at POOL SCHOOL yet? Button at the top right of your screen. I think you need to read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, then click on table of contents.

You WANT the CC to be zero....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com