Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert to salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Kaplan louisiana

Convert to salt

I'm thinking about converting my 24' ag pool (13600) to salt. what is the process and recommended equipment to use when converting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13500 gallon above ground with pentair sand dollar sand filter, 1.5hp pentair pump with TF-100 test kit. Kaplan, Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2
    Weston, FL

Re: Convert to salt

The main thing to understand is that a "salt" conversion still uses chlorine. It's just created by the salt water chlorine generator instead of added in jugs. You still use chlorine to sanitize your pool. The process is to add a "salt cell" to the discharge side of the pool plumbing. This salt cell generates chlorine when saltwater is flowing through it and it's electrified. The salt cell is then usually plugged into some sort of an electrical control unit. So, the system usually consists of two parts, a controller and a salt cell. As a safety feature, a flow switch is also usually required which stops chlorine production if water flow through the cell is lost. Finally, you will need to add pool or water softener salt to the pool according to recommended levels of the salt cell manufacturer.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit