DAP Sealant in conduit for pool light

Colad

Jun 21, 2015
MA
Hello,
I need some opinions if I need to quickly reverse something I just did. I had a leak through the conduit behind my pool light. ( well not a real leak in the conduit but that is a story for another day). I sealed the conduit with what I thought (and was sold) was 100% silicone sealant that would adhere to wet surfaces (I can quickly pump the water from the spa into the pool so can get to the light in the dry). In fact what I sealed the conduit opening with was "DAP clear sealant" Flexible CLEAR Sealant - DAP

This now around the wire sealing it. Because it is not silicone have I caused a safety issue here?

Please advise....Thanks, David

David, you might want to hit the hardware store and ask for AB epoxy putty. It's been used quite a bit for pool light work under water. Normally people will only seal "around" the conduit opening in the niche and not actually inside the conduit itself. Sealing inside the conduit will make any future work or pulling of wires virtually impossible. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not.

David, you might want to hit the hardware store and ask for AB epoxy putty. It's been used quite a bit for pool light work under water. Normally people will only seal "around" the conduit opening in the niche and not actually inside the conduit itself. Sealing inside the conduit will make any future work or pulling of wires virtually impossible. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not.
Thanks, I went with sealant instead of epoxy because I wanted to preserve the ability to replace/remove the light. And since I can easily drain the spa and make it dry I went with the calming no to seal. I just now am worried the caulk may be incompatible long term with the wire since it is not silicone. Trying to determine if I am crazy....

Reactions: Ablaw1102
I am a little confused. The conduit carry the sealed wire from the light to your powersource should not be sealed. It is intended to be flooded with pool water.

Sealing it will make the light troublesome to remove.

I am a little confused. The conduit carry the sealed wire from the light to your powersource should not be sealed. It is intended to be flooded with pool water.

Sealing it will make the light troublesome to remove.
the light was sealed previously at the conduit opening. I have discovered this because of a leak we found. It is an indoor pool and the conduit terminates in the machine room. However the conduit terminates 1 inch above the concrete in that room. The spa fills to about three inches over floor height. Thus when the sealant in the conduit behind the light failed it began sending water out the 1 inch end in the machine room. This is why I need to seal it now. But my main question is will the sealant I used damage the wire and cause a risk?

A lot of light conduits end of leaking over time therefore you need to plug them. Someone makes a plug for this which goes over the cord and plugs the line. I cant remember who. I plugged it with butyl tape. Its a pliable rubber type material that doesn't get hard. You can put in on under water and remove it easily. A leak expert in my area recommended it to me. I used the butyl tape and it works great and does not effect the electric light wire itself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bumping this older post. I took out my spa lights yesterday to change a bulb and discovered the conduits are epoxied closed. Looking back at my emails from pool contractor in 2011, he told me he did this because water was leaking- I can’t tell if leak was in conduit or if the other end was too low where wire comes out (but seems unlikely).

I have two concerns now. My spa is leaking and I see a crack in the epoxy. How might I fix if I must (I am going to dye test tomorrow)? Also, if I can’t get the light to work with a new bulb, is there a way to get the epoxy out to repulse line?

Attachments

• B4F8051E-E135-49FB-A9C2-ABEE9B5A5D73.jpeg
    B4F8051E-E135-49FB-A9C2-ABEE9B5A5D73.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 14
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.