Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DAP Sealant in conduit for pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

DAP Sealant in conduit for pool light

Hello,
    I need some opinions if I need to quickly reverse something I just did. I had a leak through the conduit behind my pool light. ( well not a real leak in the conduit but that is a story for another day). I sealed the conduit with what I thought (and was sold) was 100% silicone sealant that would adhere to wet surfaces (I can quickly pump the water from the spa into the pool so can get to the light in the dry). In fact what I sealed the conduit opening with was "DAP clear sealant" Flexible CLEAR Sealant - DAP

This now around the wire sealing it. Because it is not silicone have I caused a safety issue here?

Please advise....Thanks, David

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DAP Sealant in conduit for pool light

David, you might want to hit the hardware store and ask for AB epoxy putty. It's been used quite a bit for pool light work under water. Normally people will only seal "around" the conduit opening in the niche and not actually inside the conduit itself. Sealing inside the conduit will make any future work or pulling of wires virtually impossible. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    David, you might want to hit the hardware store and ask for AB epoxy putty. It's been used quite a bit for pool light work under water. Normally people will only seal "around" the conduit opening in the niche and not actually inside the conduit itself. Sealing inside the conduit will make any future work or pulling of wires virtually impossible. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not.
    Thanks, I went with sealant instead of epoxy because I wanted to preserve the ability to replace/remove the light. And since I can easily drain the spa and make it dry I went with the calming no to seal. I just now am worried the caulk may be incompatible long term with the wire since it is not silicone. Trying to determine if I am crazy....

4. Back To Top    #4

Butyl tape works great for this. It can be applied underwater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I am a little confused. The conduit carry the sealed wire from the light to your powersource should not be sealed. It is intended to be flooded with pool water.

Sealing it will make the light troublesome to remove.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I am a little confused. The conduit carry the sealed wire from the light to your powersource should not be sealed. It is intended to be flooded with pool water.

Sealing it will make the light troublesome to remove.
    the light was sealed previously at the conduit opening. I have discovered this because of a leak we found. It is an indoor pool and the conduit terminates in the machine room. However the conduit terminates 1 inch above the concrete in that room. The spa fills to about three inches over floor height. Thus when the sealant in the conduit behind the light failed it began sending water out the 1 inch end in the machine room. This is why I need to seal it now. But my main question is will the sealant I used damage the wire and cause a risk?

7. Back To Top    #7

bump for any other thoughts...

8. Back To Top    #8

I wonder if you could simply extend the pipe in the machine room to go higher than the current 1 inches and that of the spa so that the water in the conduit could equalize? Then you wouldn't actually have to seal it closed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Article 680.24 on page 11 of this link will be your friend here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HFsNNQpYOiZwZw
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

A lot of light conduits end of leaking over time therefore you need to plug them. Someone makes a plug for this which goes over the cord and plugs the line. I cant remember who. I plugged it with butyl tape. Its a pliable rubber type material that doesn't get hard. You can put in on under water and remove it easily. A leak expert in my area recommended it to me. I used the butyl tape and it works great and does not effect the electric light wire itself.