Mar 24, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,
I hope you can advise me on this... Every summer, I work to get my pool and backyard ready to enjoy and every summer, it becomes a battleground between me and the wasps. For some reason, the wasps down here (in Louisiana) are very hateful and aggressive, and will chase me and the kids out of the pool! I can be swimming laps or having a pool party and once they decide to show up, they persist in dive-bombing us until we leave.
I know they are drawn to the water and I've been doing a little research for various wasp deterrent methods, which I'm about to implement.
However, I came across something I had never heard of: "KILL IT ALGAESIDE KILLER AND WASP REPELLENT."
http://www.bugspraycart.com/yard/kill-it-wasp-bee-repellent.html
Has anyone ever heard of this or have any experience using it?
It claims to decrease the surface tension of the water so the wasps cannot land on it, but I'm not sure about putting an unknown substance in my pool. I prefer the slamming method, rather than using algaecides, so my experience with such products is extremely limited.
Any advice you can give me is certainly appreciated!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I've not heard of that product, but please let us all know how it works. We have very determined Yellow Jackets here in my area and they have no problem trying to take-over our pool each year. I refuse to give in. :p

Thank you! I'm actually not new to TFP... not sure what happened; if they deleted my previous posts due to a long period of inactivity or what. Yes; don't give in! That's just what they (the wasps/hornets/yellow-jackets) want us to do! :p

The chemical breaks up the surface tension of the water so the bugs and wasps will sink, however it won't keep them from coming to the pool. Check your property and make sure there are no wasp nests around, then stake out the furthest spot from your pool and set up a little tub of water or a bird bath. Keep flowering plants away from the pool. They are attracted to sweet smells so try to use unscented sunscreen. You can also run a fountain while you are in the pool to make it less attractive to them.

Here are some more tips How To Get Rid of Wasps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.