Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deterring Wasps from Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Deterring Wasps from Pool

Hi All,
    I hope you can advise me on this... Every summer, I work to get my pool and backyard ready to enjoy and every summer, it becomes a battleground between me and the wasps. For some reason, the wasps down here (in Louisiana) are very hateful and aggressive, and will chase me and the kids out of the pool! I can be swimming laps or having a pool party and once they decide to show up, they persist in dive-bombing us until we leave.
    I know they are drawn to the water and I've been doing a little research for various wasp deterrent methods, which I'm about to implement.
    However, I came across something I had never heard of: "KILL IT ALGAESIDE KILLER AND WASP REPELLENT."
    http://www.bugspraycart.com/yard/kil...repellent.html
    Has anyone ever heard of this or have any experience using it?
    It claims to decrease the surface tension of the water so the wasps cannot land on it, but I'm not sure about putting an unknown substance in my pool. I prefer the slamming method, rather than using algaecides, so my experience with such products is extremely limited.
    Any advice you can give me is certainly appreciated!
    12,500 gallon, IG Gunite (concrete) pool ~17 years old.
    SLAM/BBB Method for past ~8 years.
    Sand filter (~6 years old). Kreepy Krauly automatic pool vacuum.
    Taylor Test Kit 2006 plus TFP's FAS/DPD Chlorine Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deterring Wasps from Pool

Hello and welcome to TFP! I've not heard of that product, but please let us all know how it works. We have very determined Yellow Jackets here in my area and they have no problem trying to take-over our pool each year. I refuse to give in.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! I'm actually not new to TFP... not sure what happened; if they deleted my previous posts due to a long period of inactivity or what. Yes; don't give in! That's just what they (the wasps/hornets/yellow-jackets) want us to do!

4. Back To Top    #4

The chemical breaks up the surface tension of the water so the bugs and wasps will sink, however it won't keep them from coming to the pool. Check your property and make sure there are no wasp nests around, then stake out the furthest spot from your pool and set up a little tub of water or a bird bath. Keep flowering plants away from the pool. They are attracted to sweet smells so try to use unscented sunscreen. You can also run a fountain while you are in the pool to make it less attractive to them.

Here are some more tips How To Get Rid of Wasps
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Zea3, Thank you for your reply. Some good information there; definitely gonna try those tips!