I am opening pool for the season and just tested levels, which are as follows:

pH = 7.8
CL = .5 ppm
FC = 1
CC = 0
CH = 50 ppm
TA = 65
CYA = 15

I know first thing I have to do is add stabilizer (pool math suggests 50 oz to bring up t 40). Then once that is up should I just add chlorine according to the chart or should I do a SLAM just to make sure?

Get the CYA in there first. Then immediately get enough liquid bleach in there so that you have 5 ppm of FC (so that the normal daily drop never goes below 3) and monitor daily for a bit. If you don't have algae apparent you'll discover any problems developing by daily FC/CC checks. If your CCs go up you'll know something is in the water to deal with.

Use this guide: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I'd lower my PH a bit first and raise the FC level for your target of CYA. Why do you think you need to SLAM?

OK, so according to pool math 10 oz of MA will lower the pH to 7.5; I will do that first, then add stabilizer in sock and immediately add bleach to bring to 4 ppm. I only figured on slamming because there was some algae at bottom, but I put in some bleach a couple days ago and it seemed to clear up. Guess I should wait until I have levels in line and then see if there is a problem before slamming. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Get the CYA in there first. Then immediately get enough liquid bleach in there so that you have 5 ppm of FC (so that the normal daily drop never goes below 3) and monitor daily for a bit. If you don't have algae apparent you'll discover any problems developing by daily FC/CC checks. If your CCs go up you'll know something is in the water to deal with.

Use this guide: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

OK, thanks. I have used the chlorine / cya chart so will continue to do that once the stabilizer and bleach are in.

OK, so according to pool math 10 oz of MA will lower the pH to 7.5; I will do that first, then add stabilizer in sock and immediately add bleach to bring to 4 ppm. I only figured on slamming because there was some algae at bottom, but I put in some bleach a couple days ago and it seemed to clear up. Guess I should wait until I have levels in line and then see if there is a problem before slamming. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, thanks. I have used the chlorine / cya chart so will continue to do that once the stabilizer and bleach are in.

You mentioned getting your CYA level to 40. Based on the CYA/Chlorine Chart your absolute minimum FC level is 3. Pools have a normal daily chlorine loss usually about 2-3ppm. If you only bring your FC to 4 as you later mention, your FC will drop down below your absolute minimum of 3 and that could open the door to let algae in. I would suggest you aim for 5 so that if you lose 2ppm daily you'll still have 3ppm available. If you test and find you're down lower, say 2ppm, then you just need to redose to 5.5 or 6ppm daily to cover the loss. Capisce??

Just one question. When I put the ma, stabilizer and bleach in, how long should I wait between each or can I put all in at the same time. I was thinking to put the ma in, test in about an hour and if oH is low enough put stabilizer in sock to start dissolving, then put in bleach tonight. Or can I put the bleach in the same time as the stabilizer?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just one question. When I put the ma, stabilizer and bleach in, how long should I wait between each or can I put all in at the same time. I was thinking to put the ma in, test in about an hour and if oH is low enough put stabilizer in sock to start dissolving, then put in bleach tonight. Or can I put the bleach in the same time as the stabilizer?

Add acid or bleach, your choice. Then fuss around with the CYA and the sock. By the time that is done, you're ready for acid or bleach, whichever is left. Total time, half an hour, maybe.

Add acid or bleach, your choice. Then fuss around with the CYA and the sock. By the time that is done, you're ready for acid or bleach, whichever is left. Total time, half an hour, maybe.
Great, I think I did right then. I put in the acid, waited about r5 min., then put stabilizer in sock, waited about 15 min and then added bleach. Have a dance review to attend but will test everything again later this afternoon. Thank you.

Guess I am on the right track given my levels this moring:

pH = 7.2
CL = 5
FC = 4
CC = .5
CH = 75 (I know I don't need this with vinyl but take it every now and then)
TA = 70
CYA = 50 (still have a bit left yet in sock dissolving so will take again when done)

I guess at some point I will have to increase the pH a bit if it still shows 7.2 by adding a bit of borax or if TA is still low I will add baking soda, which if I am not mistaken, increase the pH a bit, right?

Your TA is fine at 70. I'd just leave it alone right now and raise the pH (borax or soda ash) to about 7.5. Keep a close eye on your FC though as your FC target during the day is currently 6 (based on a CYA of 50). If your CYA creeps-up more, the FC will need to be higher as well. Never go below an FC of 4. Hope that helps.

Your TA is fine at 70. I'd just leave it alone right now and raise the pH (borax or soda ash) to about 7.5. Keep a close eye on your FC though as your FC target during the day is currently 6 (based on a CYA of 50). If your CYA creeps-up more, the FC will need to be higher as well. Never go below an FC of 4. Hope that helps.
Yes that does help. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.