Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Up Pool for Summer - CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Up Pool for Summer - CYA

Hello Everyone,

I am opening pool for the season and just tested levels, which are as follows:

pH = 7.8
    CL = .5 ppm
    FC = 1
    CC = 0
    CH = 50 ppm
    TA = 65
    CYA = 15

I know first thing I have to do is add stabilizer (pool math suggests 50 oz to bring up t 40). Then once that is up should I just add chlorine according to the chart or should I do a SLAM just to make sure?
    mkaklis
    27' x 52" AG vinyl, 16,000 gal, Pleatco PAP100 Cartridge Filter, 1.5 HP pump, TK100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Up Pool for Summer - CYA

I'd lower my PH a bit first and raise the FC level for your target of CYA. Why do you think you need to SLAM?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Get the CYA in there first. Then immediately get enough liquid bleach in there so that you have 5 ppm of FC (so that the normal daily drop never goes below 3) and monitor daily for a bit. If you don't have algae apparent you'll discover any problems developing by daily FC/CC checks. If your CCs go up you'll know something is in the water to deal with.

Use this guide: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I'd lower my PH a bit first and raise the FC level for your target of CYA. Why do you think you need to SLAM?
    OK, so according to pool math 10 oz of MA will lower the pH to 7.5; I will do that first, then add stabilizer in sock and immediately add bleach to bring to 4 ppm. I only figured on slamming because there was some algae at bottom, but I put in some bleach a couple days ago and it seemed to clear up. Guess I should wait until I have levels in line and then see if there is a problem before slamming. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Get the CYA in there first. Then immediately get enough liquid bleach in there so that you have 5 ppm of FC (so that the normal daily drop never goes below 3) and monitor daily for a bit. If you don't have algae apparent you'll discover any problems developing by daily FC/CC checks. If your CCs go up you'll know something is in the water to deal with.

Use this guide: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    OK, thanks. I have used the chlorine / cya chart so will continue to do that once the stabilizer and bleach are in.
    mkaklis
    27' x 52" AG vinyl, 16,000 gal, Pleatco PAP100 Cartridge Filter, 1.5 HP pump, TK100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mkaklis View Post
    OK, so according to pool math 10 oz of MA will lower the pH to 7.5; I will do that first, then add stabilizer in sock and immediately add bleach to bring to 4 ppm. I only figured on slamming because there was some algae at bottom, but I put in some bleach a couple days ago and it seemed to clear up. Guess I should wait until I have levels in line and then see if there is a problem before slamming. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, thanks. I have used the chlorine / cya chart so will continue to do that once the stabilizer and bleach are in.
    You mentioned getting your CYA level to 40. Based on the CYA/Chlorine Chart your absolute minimum FC level is 3. Pools have a normal daily chlorine loss usually about 2-3ppm. If you only bring your FC to 4 as you later mention, your FC will drop down below your absolute minimum of 3 and that could open the door to let algae in. I would suggest you aim for 5 so that if you lose 2ppm daily you'll still have 3ppm available. If you test and find you're down lower, say 2ppm, then you just need to redose to 5.5 or 6ppm daily to cover the loss. Capisce??
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I understand and will aim for 5 and adjust accordingly as you suggest. Thank you.

mkaklis

7. Back To Top    #7

I do know that I need to get chlorine in as soon as possible because I fear getting an algae growth with it so low right now.

mkaklis

8. Back To Top    #8

You seem to be on the right track! Good job! Keep your levels inline with the charts for your kind of pool. Let us know how your water looks.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks kimkats. I think I am finally learning thanks to people like you.

mkaklis

10. Back To Top    #10

Just one question. When I put the ma, stabilizer and bleach in, how long should I wait between each or can I put all in at the same time. I was thinking to put the ma in, test in about an hour and if oH is low enough put stabilizer in sock to start dissolving, then put in bleach tonight. Or can I put the bleach in the same time as the stabilizer?

mkaklis

11. Back To Top    #11

Oops pH not oH. lol

mkaklis

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mkaklis View Post
    Just one question. When I put the ma, stabilizer and bleach in, how long should I wait between each or can I put all in at the same time. I was thinking to put the ma in, test in about an hour and if oH is low enough put stabilizer in sock to start dissolving, then put in bleach tonight. Or can I put the bleach in the same time as the stabilizer?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Add acid or bleach, your choice. Then fuss around with the CYA and the sock. By the time that is done, you're ready for acid or bleach, whichever is left. Total time, half an hour, maybe.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Add acid or bleach, your choice. Then fuss around with the CYA and the sock. By the time that is done, you're ready for acid or bleach, whichever is left. Total time, half an hour, maybe.
    Great, I think I did right then. I put in the acid, waited about r5 min., then put stabilizer in sock, waited about 15 min and then added bleach. Have a dance review to attend but will test everything again later this afternoon. Thank you.

mkaklis

14. Back To Top    #14

Oops that is 45 min wait after the acid 😄

mkaklis

15. Back To Top    #15

Guess I am on the right track given my levels this moring:

pH = 7.2
    CL = 5
    FC = 4
    CC = .5
    CH = 75 (I know I don't need this with vinyl but take it every now and then)
    TA = 70
    CYA = 50 (still have a bit left yet in sock dissolving so will take again when done)

I guess at some point I will have to increase the pH a bit if it still shows 7.2 by adding a bit of borax or if TA is still low I will add baking soda, which if I am not mistaken, increase the pH a bit, right?
    mkaklis

16. Back To Top    #16

Your TA is fine at 70. I'd just leave it alone right now and raise the pH (borax or soda ash) to about 7.5. Keep a close eye on your FC though as your FC target during the day is currently 6 (based on a CYA of 50). If your CYA creeps-up more, the FC will need to be higher as well. Never go below an FC of 4. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Your TA is fine at 70. I'd just leave it alone right now and raise the pH (borax or soda ash) to about 7.5. Keep a close eye on your FC though as your FC target during the day is currently 6 (based on a CYA of 50). If your CYA creeps-up more, the FC will need to be higher as well. Never go below an FC of 4. Hope that helps.
    Yes that does help. Thanks.

mkaklis

18. Back To Top    #18

Yep, good plan. Numbers look good. How does the water look?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

Water looks good - was a little on the cloudy side but seems to be clearing more and more.

mkaklis

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

I would perform an OCLT if you saw algae the other day and still have a bit of cloudiness. A SLAM may be needed after all.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast