Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low CYA High-ish FC Newbie question

1. Back To Top    #1

Low CYA High-ish FC Newbie question

OK....

First test results with my TF-100 Kit in my SWG Vinyl IG pool

I went to Leslie's for the last time (hopefully) on Tuesday the 19th (4 days ago).
    THEIR test results:
    My FC was 2
    My CH was 150 which they said was low.
    My CYA was low at 30.

They sold me some Hardness Plus and Liquid Pool Conditioner and I turned up my SWG without really understanding the controls (I'm better now).
    Yesterday, my FC was 7.5, CYA 20.
    I turned down my SWG to 50%

TODAY'S Test:
    Salt 3,600
    FC 5.5 CC 0
    PH 7.8
    CH 500
    TA 100
    CYA 20
    Temp 72

I know that CYA takes a while to correct. But how soon should I be concerned?
    I still don't understand the relationship of CYA to FC. I just know the recommended numbers.
    With my low CYA (not shown that low on the charts), what should my FC be?
    Did my CH Jump mess with the CYA?

The water looks really good.
    THANKS
    28,000 Gallon, IG, Vinyl, SWG, Sand Filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    Flotec Pump
    Hayward Turbulent Flo Chamber

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low CYA High-ish FC Newbie question

You need to get your CYA in the 70 to 80 range as recommended in Pool School for a SWG then dial your SWG output to where it holds 4 FC. Liquid Conditioner is almost instantaneous-already dissolved! Ph is riding a bit high too as a SWG will automatically keep that going up a bit.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Why did you let Leslie's test it when you have your own kit?

For starters, low CH is not a problem with a vinyl pool. And where you're at now is too high. Which tells me they tested too low or sold you too much. How much did you add?

I'm also skeptical of the CYA readings. How did it go down if you added some of the (expensive) liquid conditioner? It should show up on the test within hours. Certainly within 4 days.

Before you do anything else, repeat all the tests. It probably wouldn't hurt to review the How-to videos. And be sure to repeat the CYA test several times, pouring the sample back and forth between the mixing bottle and the view tube. And really swirl that CH test. Like 30 seconds per drop, til your arm and wrist are sore. A lot of times the color will revert or change with more mixing, so you want to be absolutely certain.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I started reading this forum and ordered my Test kit AFTER tuesday's $160 Leslie's visit

I'm using the magnetic stir on the drop tests and did the CH test and the CYA test twice (last night and today at noon).
    The CYA test dot doesn't start to fade until 30 and doesn't go away until 20.
    I just bought 8lbs of the powder today.

Will watch the videos and test the CYA again before adding it.
    THANKS!
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Flotec Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd settle at it as being 20. Add enough CYA to bring it to 40from an assumed 20 and retest. Test is pretty finicky less than 30 and hard to read.

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I did the whole 8lbs which should add 30ppm. Will watch it the next few days but already ordered some more CYA cheaper on Amazon.

7. Back To Top    #7

Today CYA is in the 55 range. Going to let it dissolve for a week. I mixed it in hot water and dumped in the skimmer

My PH is down to 7.5 but my FC is up to 7. Turned down the SWG more.
    TA is 110

8. Back To Top    #8

Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here Pool School - Read This Before You Post.

If you have a de filter or a sand filter don't backwash your filter until the CYA shows up on the test or it could be washed out with the backwash.

Here is how we recommend adding chemicals, including CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Edit: I read back up the thread and see you do have a sig set up. Check your devices to make sure the show sig box is checked.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah.... Looks like a 'quick reply' on iPhone doesn't include the sig
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Flotec Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

LOL John I had to look twice since I KNEW you had added it but then it was not there. I guess we solved that mystery LOL If only all of them were this easy!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I just turned OFF my SWG as the FC hasn't come down.
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Flotec Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Getting there
    CYA 60
    FC 5.5
    PH 7.5
    TA at 120 though

- - - Updated - - -

Should I brush the pool? I see CYA granules on the bottom.
    I'm watching the levels closely so that if it starts to get high, I can backwash the filter (if I overshot)
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Flotec Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Brushing is a good thing just in general. So if you see a reason to do it, go ahead.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, it isn't good to let any chemicals sit on the bottom of the pool. Another reason we recommend adding CYA in a sock.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah....
    I didn't read about the sock method until I had already poured it into the skimmer.
    Some of the granules got blown out of the skimmer and then a bit went through the system and got shot out of the return jets.
    Not too much though.

I'm wondering how long it should take to dissolve in the system.
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Flotec Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

That is where the wait a week part comes from. Should all be dissolved in a week.
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

You should also vacuum the pool to make sure there is none sitting on your plaster you missed while brushing. You will not need to go to the gym today LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks for the workout.
    CYA Stayed at 60 while the FC came down 4.5 and CH came down to 375 and TA at 110 and PH stayed at 7.5

I'll still wait

19. Back To Top    #19

It is very interesting how the numbers interact to affect (or not) the CSI.
    I'm down to -0.08 now
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    Flotec Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

Yep, good stuff! Keeping it on the negative side, 0 to -0.2, is good for your SWG. Will prevent calcium build up which will eliminate having to clean it with acid. Which will make it last longer.

How much do you really want to know about CSI? More here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)
    TFP Moderator